Skip to main content

Cummins 160 parked for 10 years. Will it run?

More
10 months 1 day ago #246325 by JOHN.K.
Diesels dont stick valves ,its usually the fuel system .......I dont think there is anywhere for a Cummins PT to stick.........maybe the injector plungers ,as they only return under spring pressure........removing the rocker cover is always a good idea on any engine,as is loosening the sump plug to see if there is water or sludge there .........incidentally ,any oil will be clean after years undisturbed,all the dirt and sludge in the sump,just waiting to be stirred up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, asw120

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 day ago #246336 by jeffo
C160, definitely check the sump for coolant.
These were very popular in the 70’s in 84 Inters, but first start at morning it was a worry checking that dipstick.
All the blokes on the sugar had sleeve seals let go, no idea if Cummins got it sorted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246337 by JOHN.K.
Usually not the sleeve seals,but holes cavitated in a liner .......if a Cummins doesnt have green water in the radiator,expect trouble........there was also a strange issue with the approved Cummins cooling system filter .....the inhibitor was chromate,and while chromate was good,its been made illegal ........problem then is reduced chromate concentration starts to eat the copper in the system.........my dragline was a victim of this ,the radiator looked brand new ,leaked like sieve ,and crumbled away in my hand .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246340 by IHScout
I note that some of you are suggesting fresh fuel to get the old girl started. I have about 100l of 10 year old diesel sitting in the RH side step tank, do you suggest I dump that or gradually mix it in with fresh fuel once I've got it going? I did use some of it in my diesel Subaru about 3 years ago and no ill affects that I know of but I don't have the Subaru anymore.

Dennis

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
10 months 1 day ago - 10 months 1 day ago #246342 by BillyP
Oh dear, what to do.......
You can go overboard and change the oil and fuel (making sure there is no water in the oil or fuel).. .
Change all filters ...........Take rocker cover off and check all is ok while some one bars the donk over........................
Check every thing you can think of.............

BUT , do you just want to see if it still runs..........and not use it for a while. .....

Then i would just have a visual check to see if every thing looks ok. ........
Definately crack the sump plug to see if any water is present.....that could mean further investigations...
Take the rocker cover off and inspect while baring the donk over ........
Check water and oil levels ........
Replace the fuel filter......checking for water in the filter.......and if the fuel has not gelled ,
if it looks OK i would still use it ..........
If water present check fuel tanks ( water in fuel is deadly for Cummins ,it can seize the pump
govenor plunger and,is not too good for the injectors either .......
Take the wire off the fuel pump solonoid and spin the donk over till you get oil pressure ........
Then connect it back up ..........
A little sniff of starting fluid may assist to fire it up ...........
Keep a visual check to make sure all is ok.....

One other thing.......Check the step tank mounting bolts and brackets..........
A few donks have run out of oil when the step tanks dropped down ...pulling
the oil lines off the bypass oil filter (if fitted to the tank brackets ........)

I think thats about it ......... (have i forgot something ??????????)...........

.................Billy.................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 10 months 1 day ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, PaulFH, wee-allis, xspanrman

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246399 by Sarge
I am with ...... probably all of the advisers..... but I get excited and having a checked for water where it should and should not be, I would crank it over, (with thevstop button out)it was running sweet when you parked it......then let it go......

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247349 by IHScout
Things progress slowly in my world, when they're not going so fast that they are totally out of control. My work in the shed for the last month was interrupted by a spur of the moment decision to get a mezzanine floor installed in the shed (why? because it was going cheap on FB marketplace). Of course that meant getting everything out of the way so that there was room to put mezzanine in! Fortunately Sarge was able to come up for a few days to help out.

Now I'm back working on the truck, and trying to get all the fuel out of the drivers step tank so I can start with clean fuel. However there seems to be something stopping the last 10-20 litres from reaching the bung hole. It can be heard sloshing around in the tank when I flip it around but nothing more than a few drips coming out any opening. Has anyone opened one of these up? It would be interesting to know the layout of baffles etc to work out what's going on. Also does anyone know what type of fuel gauge sender I need to work with the standard D-line fuel gauge?

Dennis
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247351 by asw120
I have shed envy....:)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247362 by Mrsmackpaul
Never opened that style of tank up, I have welded a few tanks though

Anyway

Maybe a wet and dry vacuum cleaner thru the filler

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, JOHN.K.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247365 by JOHN.K.
There used to be crowd that would combined pressure clean tanks (with diesel) and suck out the crud and diesel at the same time .........dont know if a wet and dry would be a good idea........ on mine ,you can see sparks from the brushes in the electric motor ............maybe the more modern ones are OK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds