Skip to main content

Cummins 160 parked for 10 years. Will it run?

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247383 by asw120
Knew a bloke who turned his vacuum into a jet engine doing this, albeit with petrol. (no, it wasn't me :P)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247385 by Gryphon
Hi,

I use a sand blasting gun and an air compressor and drop the pick up line in the fuel tank and suck the crud out, however if it is behind baffles you wont get all of it out.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247389 by Mrsmackpaul

dont know if a wet and dry would be a good idea........ on mine ,you can see sparks from the brushes in the electric motor ............maybe the more modern ones are OK.

I think it would be not a issue with diesel

If it was mine I would just cut a hole in it with the fuel still in there

Just make sure the air hose has been pumping away for a little while before you start

I have done a few tanks and even bunged one on youtube once

And I haven't gone bang yet

When it comes to welding it back up diesel is more dangerous than petrol but if the correct proceedure is followed it is fine

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247391 by Inter-Action
I have a C1500 with the original tank still in situ . Would that have a suitable sender unit for what u want?

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247394 by JOHN.K.
If the tank is the same depth ,it should be OK

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247398 by 180wannabe
The D-Line service manual says the fuel sender unit should be a 10-180 ohm unit, which a quick google search shows to be very common/readily available.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Mrsmackpaul

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247405 by cobbadog
I have an air compressor vacuum. A length of hose with an air gun poked into the wall of the tube with enough length to drop down into the tank and other end long enough to allow the muck to bloww away from me.Connect to the air line and run over 50psi or higher and watch it work.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, PaulFH, Southbound, theabundantlife

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247406 by IHScout
Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas and information. It doesn’t look like I’m going to get a chance to try starting it until after our next lot of holidays. So stay tuned for the next instalment sometime in October!

Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247415 by Inter-Action
Me to cobbadog. When i drain my stationary engine cooling systems, i use a piece plastic hose. Punch a hole in the side at the outlet
end , about 100 mm down from the end. Jam the air gun nozzle into the hole , air on and the venturi system does the rest.
Works really well and you can direct the suction end into all the tight spots. Of cause you have to unblock the suction of rust and
rubbish regularly.
Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247442 by cobbadog
yeah, that was what I was trying to describe

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds