Skip to main content

AB 150 Gold motor

More
10 months 1 week ago #246349 by Inter-Action
Started off by deciding to do a valve grind while the manifolds were off during the restoration. What turned up was a couple of holes in the top of no.1 piston. Bore has a bad groove as a result of broken rings. So. Where do i get a set of pistons and rings? Or. Is there another motor that would match up to the original g/box. I will get a quote from the local engineer this week. Just thought by asking the site i might get some different ideas.1964 AB 150 with the gold motor. The truck is very straight with no rust. I have already got about $5,000 invested in it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #246353 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Top ring gap too tight .....very common with IH 6s in trucks ......never happens in utes and vans.........if it was me,I d buy a 281 off ebay ,or whereever...........try to get a ute motor ,as just about any 6 from a truck will have a wrecked top ring groove
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 week ago #246355 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Maybe Auto Surplus in Victoria for parts, but i'd be looking for a replacement motor. Shouldn't be hard to find either another Gold Diamond (AGD264?), or as John K suggests, a 6-281/6-282.

Brett.

More
10 months 1 week ago #246358 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic AB 150 Gold motor
This should be your ring set..

www.waggatractorparts.com/ecommerce/product/1284-rgs4442

For the piston Try Cowra Truck Wreckers.... They'd probably sell you a Second hand One..

But as already being suggested,I'd get another Motor..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 week ago #246361 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Thanks for the feed back. Will a 6/281 fit the same engine mounts and what about matching up to existing g/box and clutch.
I do have 2 of those engines, but they are both stuck. Not sure that i would be any better off. Just as a wild card.??
I can put my hands on a couple of Perkins 6/354. Would it be possible to use one of them and then i guess i have a problem with
what g/box would suit and how much modifications would be required. I know they are a bit of a slug but pretty bomb proof?
Getting back to my gold motor. The remaining 5 pistons are pretty sloppy when pushed sideways in the bore so would pay to do all 6 , rather than 1 second hand piston. Would any Inter V8's fit? All feed back is welcome. Many thanks. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
10 months 1 week ago #246380 by JOHN.K.
Yes the blocks are virtually the same .....your motor will be a 240 ,normally the best of the IH 6s .........you will probably find all the pistons have ring groove damage.........IMHO ,its caused entirely by not running in new/rebored motors...........I used to fit the top ring with 050 gap when rebuilding a motor for a "cowboy",as I knew it would never be carefully run in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 week ago #246382 by Inter-Action
Thanks John. Yes. 4 out of six. Broken rings, some with substantial groove damage. So i cant see much sense in purchasing a s/h
model motor. Good chance it could have the same problem. I have to measure the damaged bore to see if it will be able to be saved.
2 red motors ,both stuck will need a rebuild so i will try to fix what i have got. The ironical thing is , i only started by a simple valve
grind , and that will be the easy part. The valves are all good with plenty of meat , so will take a grind/lap , no probs.
I will do some shopping around for a set of pistons , gaskets etc. I will let you know how i get on , and no doubt i will have more
questions. Once again, thanks for the advice. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
10 months 1 week ago #246387 by JOHN.K.
If you can find a 281 from a ute or panelvan ,it will be OK...........Ive got plenty of 281 +20 and +30 NOS pistons ,and other stuff .....but nothing for a 240..........a lot of people seem to put a Falcon motor in them........never tried it myself .

More
10 months 1 week ago #246389 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic AB 150 Gold motor
We replaced the ASD240 with a 281 in my AR162 when the former dropped a valve. It dropped in using the original mounts and gearbox but we needed to use the bellhousing off the 281. The only other change was to use the pulley on the crankshaft of the 240 onto the 281 to bring the belt forward of the mounts (the AR had a mount across the front of the motor). A spacer would be another option to line the belts up. As these motors are before and after yours there shouldn't be a problem

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

More
10 months 1 week ago #246390 by Inter-Action
Thanks John. I need to get the bore measured to check how deep the groove is where the ring rubbed. I may have to chase o/s for the 240 motor. I have got access to 2 x 281 engines but they are stuck and still in the trucks. 1 is a 1300 4x4 , the other a C1500.
I am not set up to be pulling motors out when they are on a farm out of town. Don't mind as much pulling this block out at home.
Looks like i can get std pistons and rings for $1500. Just depends on the bore. I don't wont new rings catching/dragging on this
damaged bore. More investigating needed. Where abouts are you John.? I am in Port Lincoln SA. Dave.

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds