Skip to main content

AB 150 Gold motor

More
10 months 2 days ago #246609 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Did you mean 20 thou undersize and are you metric or imperial? Best way to measure big end clearance is with plasti-gauge which gives you a real world reading. My own experience showed that shells can be more than 002" different between brands for a given size. If you can get away with just polishing and crack testing the crank that is a good thing and preferable to a re-grind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 days ago - 10 months 2 days ago #246610 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic AB 150 Gold motor
I have purchased JP piston rings a few times, reasonable price and no problems. This 1929 Nash Standard Six was bored out 30 thou, pistons and rings from them. Have only done 2500 miles, a few trips of 10 to 20 miles at up to 40 MPH with no dramas.
David.

Last edit: 10 months 2 days ago by wouldyou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, eerfree, Morris, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, Tacho, wee-allis and 2 other people also said thanks.

More
10 months 2 days ago #246611 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AB 150 Gold motor
I did think perhaps Precision International might have offered pistons for the 240, but looking just now it seems they don't. Also thought of Southern Hemi Media as a long shot, but no luck there either.

It's good to hear of David's success with JP's, like i said i had heard of failures just as John K has, but maybe they have either been sorted with time, or were just bad luck stories. We do often tend to hear about the failures sooner and louder than we hear about the successes, so the failure rate might actually be quite low in comparison. I just wanted to offer what i had heard and read, to help you make an informed decision. If your re-conditioner man has used them before, and has been happy with them, then that has to boost confidence in using them.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246616 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic AB 150 Gold motor
I have used JP pistons for years in both my 26 Chev and 34 Plymouth, as well as customers vehicles. Never had the slightest problem. I believe that the failures reported are more as a result of bad or poor assembly.

As for 2 thou under bearings, I just fitted a set to my 1950 Morris. The shaft miced up ok, within reason, and I couldn't get standard shells, so 2 thou under fitted just fine. Repco used to make them for most engines at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246619 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Thanks to all for the feedback. Dave.

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds