Skip to main content

AB 150 Gold motor

More
10 months 4 days ago #246552 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Hi Dave, i have sent you the info via email. That is providing i still have your email address correct. If you don't receive 4 pages of info, PM your email address to me, and i will have another go.

Brett.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 days ago #246565 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Dont grind the crank unless you are sure you can get the new mains .......the cranks are tocco hardened ,and maybe OK without a grind .........the ones Ive seen where they are a mess was because the spring was lost from the oil filter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 3 days ago #246570 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Thanks John. I have checked against spec sheet Brett was good enough to send me, and they are really very close to specs.
Conrods also are no more than 2-3 thou off spec. I have the block and the crank in the D1310 ready to take to the engineer in the
morning. He is better at ready the mic than me. Then i will know which way to go. The big question is how deep the score mark
is and wether 20 - 30 thou pistons will do the trick. I do have another 282 available with the head already off. So not a lot to pop
out a couple of pistons and have a look. Will the manifolds off the 240 fit the 281. Reason i ask is the 240 has a nice twin throat
carby and also extractors. Would hate to have to leave them behind. Most grateful for all feed back. This arvo was spent taking the starter mechanism of a very old RD4 Cat Crawler .Anyone out there have a w/shop manual , for sale. Dave

More
10 months 3 days ago #246571 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AB 150 Gold motor
if you need 281 pistons,I have NOS 20 and 30s for $50 ea ......$300 + post a set........pins,but no rings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH, Southbound

More
10 months 3 days ago #246573 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Manifolds will interchange. So will the head, if it comes to that.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 3 days ago #246578 by Inter-Action
Thanks John and Jarrod. So if i do use the 240 block again will a 281 head fit , given that the 240 has the tilt valves. The reason i ask , is i have a 281 head already planed and valves cut. Are the head gaskets the same. I think Jarrod has answered that?
Is the clutch/pressure plates the same. I have bought a new clutch plate.
Hope i am not creating to much of a can of worms. Just trying to use what i have and what fits best/easiest/economically. All shall
be revealed over next 2 days. Measure up all components. Drop the sump on the 281 engine if needed , dig out the recod 281 head.
Many thanks Dave.

More
10 months 2 days ago #246599 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic AB 150 Gold motor
The heads have the same casting number. I would think there are just minor updates with valves.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
10 months 2 days ago #246602 by Inter-Action
Thanks Jarrod. Just Waiting on the engineer for bore size after boring. Then i will be able to order the pistons. All journals measured up good. Only big end shells i can find are 2 thou o/s.
Even though 2 thou is very small increase of material i don't want any chance of binding up, so i will put original ones back.
Interesting. Auto Surplus pistons offered, are SP Pistons . Price is exactly the same as me dealing with SP direct.
Brett's spec sheets came in handy for the engineer to check my engine parts. Thanks Brett.

More
10 months 2 days ago #246604 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AB 150 Gold motor
SP Pistons or JP?

As John K mentioned earlier, JP's don't have a very good reputation, and i have heard similar on more than one occasion. From what i have heard they seem to have a high seizure rate, i wouldn't use them if you have an alternative, or at least factor in extra clearance for them if you do use them.

I have a set of JP's here in a 1928 Hupmobile engine. They were supplied and fitted during the rebuild i had outsourced when i was young and didn't know any better. I have not ran the engine since it was rebuilt, and now knowing more i will be pulling it apart and doing a lot of measuring before i do.

I don't mean to put you off, but i strongly advise doing some research into the reliability of JP's, and making your own decision from that, before you commit.

Brett.

More
10 months 2 days ago #246605 by Inter-Action
Thanks Brett. Typing error. I am talking about JP. Any ideas where i may get another brand of piston. I appreciate the f/back,
but would have thought if Auto Surplus had got to much negative feedback, then they would not sell them. ?? Just a thought.
I did mention to the engineer, that i had heard of some problems. He has had no problems , nor was he aware of any problems.??
Many thanks for all input to my engine re-build. Dave.

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds