Skip to main content

AB 150 Gold motor

More
10 months 1 week ago #246394 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Im in Brisbane .......You have lots of options....all of them expensive ...the cost of engine work now is crazy............a direct result of 95% of engine reconditioning shops closing down
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #246423 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic AB 150 Gold motor
I have made contact with the local engine recon shop. He will do all the machining , both head and block , plus assembly for
$100/hr. I also have got good feed back re pistons , once we work out the o/s pistons needed. Gaskets are available.
Now i need to remove engine and deliver to engineer. Then we wait and count the pennies. At least i will be able to paint the
engine bay a lot easier. Pretty expensive way to get good engine bay access.!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45

More
10 months 1 week ago #246432 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic AB 150 Gold motor
A quote of $100/hr sounds like a rebuild with an open ended chequebook.You want a fixed price.

More
10 months 1 week ago #246434 by Inter-Action
Yep. Fair comment. But i am buying all the parts. He wont make anything there and he is happy to work out a price of assembly.
All i have to pay for if i decide to assemble myself is the boring, planning ,and help by measuring everything so i order the correct
parts. Pistons are on the shelf ready to machine to o/s , gasket set is on the way. Head is already with the engineer. Engine out of
truck this morning. Clean and deliver that tomorrow , then start on cleaning and painting engine bay. That's the plan. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #246435 by JOHN.K.
certainly strip the engine down to every piece and carefully inspect to be sure something broken doesnt turn up half way thru...........I dnt know what pistons youve got ,but the SA made JPs dont have a good reputation and are said to need extra clearance.
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
10 months 1 week ago #246438 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AB 150 Gold motor
I have heard the same about JP pistons.

More
10 months 1 week ago #246445 by Inter-Action
Yep . I have used JP for many of my stationary engines over the years, and found them very good to deal with.
They cast there own pistons on site and have blanks on the shelf, waiting for me to give them the o/s needed.
One of the bores has a bit of a score and i don't want to run new rings and have them catch and break.
For your interest. 6 pistons with rings and gudgeon pins $1500, which i thought was pretty good.
What was it John, that you said about a bigger gap in the top ring?

More
10 months 1 week ago #246446 by rex
Replied by rex on topic AB 150 Gold motor
Firstly it was a long time ago when I had Inter engines so some of the bad memories have faded away one however, remains. The rear main bearing shells have the oil groove closer to the front leving a longer distance towards the rope seal. What I found the rear main showed more wear on the seal side sometimes quite aggressive and was sometimes the cause of a failure. Whenever I did a rebuild would be to file a small chamfer on the edge of shell almost to the end near the seal this allowed the oil to seep along the join in the shells. From that time on i never had a problem with a rear main bearing.
For what it is worth Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Gryphon, Inter-Action, PaulFH, asw120, lemmiwinks

More
10 months 1 week ago #246449 by JOHN.K.
people have told me the main sets are hard to find.........I had an old set that I gave away,but they were white metal from a very early engine .....later ones are tri metal...........I bought IH stuff from the army disposals ........the rare items are exhaust valves to suit the positive rotators ,and main bearings .........the pistons I have are mainly Repco ,made the same as Holden with the cast in expansion strut.

More
10 months 4 days ago #246550 by Inter-Action
Is there someone out there who can help me with the info needed when reconditioning the AGD240 motor . AB 151 . 1964.
Std sizes for crankshaft journals big end and main. Bore and piston dimensions . Also torque settings when it comes to re-assemble.
An unwanted book would be great but photo copies would do the job. Maybe a PM with email address, or text, then i can send my email address back.
Dave.

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds