Skip to main content

AA 120 1959,60,61

More
13 years 10 months ago #30672 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: AA 120 1959,60,61
There might be the odd tandem drive AB around but not ex factory. I found out a bit about the tandem trac when doing the ACCO book, looked at the drawings but never actually saw one for real. Apparently Fowler Constructions of Port Melbourne held the patent for it and this is one reason IH bought them out in the late 50s. In service there were problems and most seem to have been changed to Hendrickson or other types/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30673 by 555 Cummins
Replied by 555 Cummins on topic Re: AA 120 1959,60,61
here's a couple of sales brochers i have must be from the 60's

1951 AEC Mammoth Major&&1974 IH ACCO 2050A&&1979 IH ACCO 1710B&&197? McGrath

More
13 years 10 months ago #30674 by atkipete
Great info there 555, around 1960 I think . The 148 hp was a theoretical figure in reality the 264 had about 100hp so driver would have been working it hard. One of the problems with the tandem trac was that the springs were contained inside a box section and very difficult to replace broken leaves.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30675 by atkipete
Note the engine on the ACF174 is the BD282 ie American Black Diamond. Its 137 hp might have been a more realistic figure

More
13 years 10 months ago #30676 by atkipete
Some info re Fowler Constructions from Argus newspaper ( Melbourne) in 1948
" Fowler Constructions Pty Ltd, which recently Increased authorised capital to

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 10 months ago #30677 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: AA 120 1959,60,61

Atkipete
GuddayM8

RE: Fowler

Me thinks Fowler had sumthing 2 do with Steco Transport euipment

RE:ISAS

International Sales And Service

me thinks

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 10 months ago #30678 by atkipete
Onetrack might know, must be having his afternoon nap.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30679 by atkipete
Here is an add for Fowler cranes, sold by ISAS

Industrial Sales and Service

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #30680 by
Replied by on topic Re: AA 120 1959,60,61
Sorry, men - I've been a little busy recently, and haven't looked at the forum for a couple of days. I've been madly on the hunt for a 3 phase contactor for my big Atlas Copco compressor.
Have I told you all recently, just how much I hate electrical retailers/wholesalers, and electrical surplus people?? ::)

I have also been running around, hunting down Acrow pallet-racking uprights for my workshop.
I picked up some Acrow beams for free, but the Acrow uprights proved a bit elusive.
Something about, they haven't been made for over 30 yrs .. ;D .. even my pallet racking is vintage, now .. ;D

Also, I had the monitor on my desktop crap out on the 14th June, and I ordered a new one from Shopping Square in NSW .. and they took 5 days to process my PayPal payment .. and then another 5 days to freight it .. :( :'( ::)
Meantimes I had to resort to the laptop. Of course, the laptop is running Windows 7 and the desktop has XP, and I hadn't set up up my laptop for mail .. and I couldn't access emails on the desktop, so things were running like a hairy goat, for a while there .. :(

Yes, ISAS was Industrial Sales & Service, and was an International Harvester division.
ISAS was the division that handled the sales of all the International line of construction equipment.
It wasn't unusual for a manufacturer to have a separate company that owned the distributorships and sold a range of brands from the same company.

IHC Australia also purchased both Fowler and Armstrong-Holland, and absorbed them into IH, and eliminated the names, only a few years after the purchase of the companies.
I think that happened sometime around 1957? Not sure on the date, I can't find any record of the actual sale. Certainly late 1950's, and maybe 1960, as Pete says.

Re Fowler and Steco - Yep, Swish is on the money there.

From the SMH of January 25, 1951 ....

"Fowler Constructions Ltd, Melbourne, has acquired the issued shares in Franklin and Anderson Pty. Ltd., makers of transport equipment, for 63,000 fully paid ordinary 10/- ($1.00) shares in Fowler Constructions Ltd.
The company will also own Steco Industries Pty. Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Franklin and Anderson Pty. Ltd."

Here's an ad for the Fowler "Movemor" from the Hobart Mercury, dated July 1947. I don't think this "all-in-one" unit would have been too useful, or popular, as a front end loader, and it probably died a well-deserved death .. :D
Note how ISAS were distributors for Armstrong Holland, and Fowler .. as well as IH products .. and sold a range of other items as well.
However, also note, that at this time, ISAS were "a division of Robt. Nettlefold Pty Ltd." This was before IH bought up ISAS, and ISAS were a privately-owned distributor.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 10 months ago #30681 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: AA 120 1959,60,61

JuanTrak
GuddayM8

Gr8 info

RE: I don't think this "all-in-one" unit would have been too useful,
Back in them days I'd Imagine
Either use the beast or use a (1RB,Cat D1,Mexican Dragline)

img84.imageshack.us/img84/6489/catd14rp.jpg

LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds