Skip to main content

WotZit

More
7 years 7 months ago #174636 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic WotZit
Interesting comment about Autocar founder Clarke putting the driver on the near (left) side, I have always been led to believe that it derived from the same side that you would mount a bike and/or a horse, thus near side and off side. If so, wonder why the Poms, as well as a few other countries went RHD? Also, another thing to do with horses, had been told many years ago that the wheel spacing of a Roman chariot was set at 4' 8&1/2" which led to what is now accepted as 'standard gauge' in a lot of countries railways. Dunno, sounded logical. Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 7 months ago #174657 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WotZit
Davo M80
not only
but also
have heard the standard truck width of 8 feet
derived from 2 side by side horses harnessd up to a wagon
But wait
eye diegest
:lol:
back to bizzness
Loosley
well dun
U dun it again
drinx for U

tiz a
Moreland Truck

The company slogan was "Built in the West -- for Western Work"

Wotzit # 342

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #174659 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic WotZit
RHD - historically horse riders passed to the left so that you could shake hands or whatever, most people being right handed. Cart drivers followed the same idea. America was RHD at the start but then swapped over. Bit like motorbike controls - make a hash of it then want the world to change to their system. (they have idiot car drivers who can only use their right foot for the foot brake when on a bike).
Near side is the kerb side irrespective of LHD or RHD.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174660 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic WotZit
But for the front chassis extension and cross member cum bumper it could be Brockway.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174661 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic WotZit
Fageol?

More
7 years 7 months ago #174662 by Dave_64
Afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree on one point and that is TRADITIONALLY, one mounted a horse (even before cars were even thought of) from his LEFT or NEAR side when both facing forward. Regardless of whether LHD or RHD, when the vehicle is facing forward, kerbside really doesn't enter into it, the left hand side is still the near side. Not worth getting into a blue over, I am as far as I am concerned, convinced of my own interpretation, others believe in their own. Cheers, Dave

More
7 years 7 months ago #174663 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic WotZit
I was told once that the US was RHD at the start but because there roads were all mud and slop the drives would pull up to the RHS to hop out with out stepping in mud
But they found to many people were getting killed because when they pulled back on to the road couldnt see the traffic so they made it law the steering wheel had to be on the LHS
If this is true it means they were all driving on the wrong side anyway
As far as the right hand for shaking the other persons hand dunno I was always led to believe you should walk with your lady friend to your left to keep your right hand free for sword fighting back in the day and then I guess pistols so maybe shake hands or maybe protection dunno or maybe both
we need some one old enough on here to ask LOL

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 7 months ago #174666 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WotZit

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 7 months ago #174671 by Dave_64
So there we have it! I guess that still leaves it a bit up in the air as to just who is "right" and who is "wrong"? Just as an aside, within the task force of 1ATF when the Vietnam conflict was going, our Oz RHD vehicles were to be driven in the same way as was prevailing at home here. Once you left the compound, you swung over to the local SVN way, LHD in a RHD vehicle. And just to compound the issue, we had a few US souced vehicles on loan, where within the compound you drove a LHD vehicle on the "wrong" side of the road again swapping over to the L/H or "right" way of travel! Tended to get a little confusing at times, unless you had a bit of prior experience of driving a LHD vehicle, notably Euclid scrapers or something similar! Dave_64

More
7 years 7 months ago #174676 by defective
Replied by defective on topic WotZit

grandad wrote: Fageol?

...I reckon You're on the money grandad .. The bonnet vents give it away

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds