More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177340 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WotZit
Wheel dun Mrs
U dun good
Drinx fir U

Yup tiz a
Peterbilt

In the early part of the 20th century, Tacoma, Washington plywood manufacturer and lumber entrepreneur T.A. Peterman was faced with a lumber logistics problem. He could not get logs from the forest to his lumber mill quickly or efficiently. He sought to improve upon the methods of the day: floating logs down river, or the use of steam tractors and horse teams. Peterman knew that if he could develop the then-nascent automobile technology and build trucks, he could solve his problem.
Peterman was rebuilding surplus army trucks, improving the technology with each successive vehicle. Then he put a battery on the starter (instead of the crank) and soon purchased the assets of Fageol Motors of Oakland, California in 1938 to supplement his need for a custom built logging truck chassis. Fageol had gone into receivership in 1932. By 1938, the Great Depression had driven the value of the assets to nearly zero. Peterman acquired the defunct truck manufacturer and although he produced two chain-drive logging trucks, they were unsuccessful. In 1939 he began selling his trucks to the public. T. A. Peterman died in 1944. His wife, Ida, sold the company (less the land) to seven individuals within the organization. They expanded it into a major producer of heavy-duty trucks. In 1958, Ida Peterman announced plans to sell the land to develop a shopping center. The shareholders, not wanting to invest in a new manufacturing facility, sold the company to Pacific Car & Foundry Co., then primarily a manufacturer of railroad freight cars, which was looking to expand its truck manufacturing presence. Pacific Car & Foundry Co, which had acquired the assets of Kenworth in 1944, was already a competitor in the heavy truck market. In June, 1958, they acquired Peterbilt Motors as a wholly owned subsidiary. One year later, Pacific Car started construction of a modern 176,000-square-foot (16,400 m2) manufacturing facility in Newark, Calif. In August, 1960 Peterbilt moved to the new facility and became a division of the parent firm. Pacific Car and Foundry Co. changed its name officially to PACCAR in 1971.

Wotzit # 361

:silly:

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #177351 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic WotZit
I think a Sterling

More
7 years 4 months ago #177352 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WotZit
Does PET CLEANING mean washing dogs or does it have some other meaning?

Lang

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177403 by Swishy
Lang M80

Wen me do n sum pikcel manipulation

car fell off the side of truck ;)

Think n Grandad got it

well dun Grampz

Yup .... Tiz a

Sterling Truck

The Sterling name was originally used by an independent truck manufacturer, bought by the White Motor Co. in about 1953. It was retired two years later. Although technically the property of the White Motor Co., and conveyed to its successor, Volvo-White Motor Co., which evolved into Volvo Trucks North America, the trademark had lain dormant so long that there were no grounds for objection when Daimler-Benz subsidiary Freightliner—whose trucks were distributed by White from the 1950s through 1975—resurrected it to supplant the Ford blue oval on their HN80 ("AeroMax") family of trucks after the purchase.
Sterling built class 8 tractors, as well as a range of medium and heavy duty cab/chassis vehicles. With bodies added by third-party upfitters/body builders, these cab/chassis vehicles were used for freight distribution as well as heavy vocational uses, such as construction, snow plowing and refuse collection.
In the last few years of operation, the company also marketed light medium-duty cab/chassis vehicles manufactured by Mitsubishi Fuso (Sterling 360 models) and Dodge (Sterling Bullet models). These were typically outfitted with bodies suitable for use as lighter vocational trucks — those designed to perform jobs other than straight freight hauling — including fire trucks, garbage trucks, dump trucks, concrete mixers, tanker trucks, and snowplows.

Wotzit # 362

Get b2 B th@ thirsty time of year ....... again correct WAG will get U a pass to u're very own beer fridge

LOL

cya

Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #177404 by LN700
Replied by LN700 on topic WotZit
Looks like a Brockway to me Swishy.
LN700

More
7 years 4 months ago #177408 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic WotZit

LN700 wrote: Looks like a Brockway to me Swishy.
LN700

I reckon your on the money even if it is only your own beer money from your own fridge :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177443 by Swishy
Well Dun LN
Evn Mrs agrees wiff U

one fir U n one fir U
Yup Tiz a
Brockway Truck

Brockway Motor Company was a builder of custom heavy-duty trucks in Cortland, New York, from 1912 to 1977. It was founded as Brockway Carriage Works in 1875 by William Brockway. His son George Brockway later turned the carriages into a truck manufacturer in 1909.
During World War II Brockway manufactured the B666 heavy truck, including the B666 Daybrook M-II-A bridge erector and C666 Quick Way crane, as well as G547 and G690 6-ton 6×6 bridging trucks, part of a standard design series also built by Corbitt and White. G547 "Treadway" trucks had a large hoist on the rear for self-unloading, while the G690 chassis were fitted with "Quickway" cranes, also used in bridging operations.
The company was purchased by Mack Trucks Inc. in August 1956 and remained a division of Mack until its closing in June 1977. Mack cited "union troubles" for the closure

Wotzit # 363

cya

§

Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #177449 by grandad
Think it's a White

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #177525 by Swishy
Grandad
Gudday M8

Me not only think n ........ me nose it aint no White
but have a wee sip anyway

cya
§

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177651 by grandad
Had a couple of wee sips and it started to look a bit dodgy....... :whistle:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gryphon.

Time to create page: 0.682 seconds