Skip to main content

53 Series Powered Trucks

More
7 years 2 months ago #179272 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
Injector Jack, I seem to remember someone from Lameroo having a two stroke UD in a Commer back in the 60's. I reckon it was a tray top with a lazy or pusher and I saw it at Adelaide & Wallaroo Fertiliser Pt Adelaide. Was supposed to go like the clappers.
Geoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179278 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
Billy P, "chappy" wasn't quiet the word that we used.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179295 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
.Yep...Its all in the wording ..aint it.........
One of our inlaws son was in tow with a foreign lady with limited english........
They tried to impress on her to ask for a knife and fork ......not the other way around..........
............(would you like a fxoxoing spoon too).............
.......................Billy..........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by BillyP.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179402 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
I recall that in the sixties there was a company in Harbord St Granville NSW named C.L.A.E. that was agents for GM Diesels and repowered trucks. P.B. Coleman had their new International Loadstar repowered by C.L.A.E. with a 6v53 GM and M.H.P. Carrying Service from Wollongong had C.L.A.E. repower some of their bogie drive Commer prime movers also with a 6V53 GM. One was featured in an ad in the Truck and Bus Magazine. The driver Jim Vanallia (nicknamed Para) said something about how quick the repowered Commer could now climb Mt Ousley.
The noisiest GM that I have ever heard belonged to Cronulla Carrying. An early 8x4 ACCO with a 2 axle dog trailer. The driver did not only have to cope with the noise from the engine beside him and the noisy exhaust, he also had to contend with the noise from the huge Donaldson air cleaner that was positioned in the cab where the passenger seat was removed. I remember seeing him wearing ear muffs and when he drove past me, it felt like the ground was shaking.
Another truck that was almost as noisy was a 6v53 GM powered Orange colored Bedford that had 2 mufflers up the back of the cab. Like a lot of GM,s you could hear the truck for miles in the early hours of the day. It belonged to Dave Wilson of Corrimal. I think it was originally owned by Twyfords near Bega NSW.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179429 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
.xpman.........
.Harbord St Granville.......................
I think we are talking about the same place...................
Was it CLAE before it was DETCO.?????????...............
Did Tutt Bryant buy CLAE and turn it into DETCO,,,,,,,then move to Bankstown later on?????????..............
(Actually..Tutt Bryant....at this stage ..were part of the Bowater Tutt Bryant group)...........
Also i thought Tutts were GM agents earlier, in the earth moving scene?????????................
How does all that fit in to the scheme of things.?????????.................
......................Billy.........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by BillyP.

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds