Skip to main content

53 Series Powered Trucks

More
7 years 9 months ago #172954 by wedgetail84
Not common but there was at least one factory fitted 6v53 to a D line inter - www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/7180-saved...y-today-453-gm#79772 scroll down a bit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Detroit Dreamer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172968 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
I thought that most (if not all) of the GMs fitted to Inters (with the execption of Atkinson) were all fitted by Norling Engineering...
BISTBC.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 9 months ago #172969 by Detroit Dreamer
Thanks Wedgetail, I remember seeing, or should I say hearing, quite a few D series Inters over the years although not lately!

I thought they were a factory install so good to see some proof :-)

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172972 by wedgetail84
I'd say the majority you heard were conversions, the one I linked to is the only official one I've seen...

hayseed wrote: I thought that most (if not all) of the GMs fitted to Inters (with the execption of Atkinson) were all fitted by Norling Engineering...
BISTBC.

i thought so too until I found that thread. Would Norling have stamped a new build plate?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173026 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
......................."Diamond Reo's came factory fitted with 8/53 although the first ones were labelled Diamond T they were sold as Diamond Reo
Dunno that anything left the factory floor with a 4 53"............................
Quote from Mrsmackpaul, previous page.

OK, so we have many trucks bought out standard issue with 6V53 GM's, even references to 4/71 GM's off the floor, but doesn't look like all that many came out standard with the inline 4-53's. No doubt plenty of industrial/off highway uses, maybe a bit too low on HP for road trucks?? Going by posts from Swishy, 4/53 rated at 130 HP @200RPM
Dave_64
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: correction

More
7 years 8 months ago #173034 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
Do 8/53s actually exist?

More
7 years 8 months ago #173041 by Mrsmackpaul
Yeah either that or Im full of crap (dont answer that) but yes but I dont think they sold very well here or the states and were dropped from production because the 6-71 and the 6V71 were to close to been the same size or at least thats what I have been told was the reason

6 x 71 = 426 cubes
8 x 53 = 428 cubes

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173049 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks
Type in under the 'search' banner, "One for the screamer buffs", quite a comprehensive section relating to 8/53's.

Still trying to find out if any AUSTRALIAN built or released vehicles EVER fitted with the 4/53 GM's. Find a few references to them in Seppoland, a few Good 'Ol Boys dropped them into Chebby and Fraud 'pick-ups', but they like to tinker like that.

While I'm here, am familiar with SAE #1--#2--#3 bellhousings, also a SAE#4 which is available but not quite as common. I was just wondering just what size clutch/pressure plate/flywheel would the #4 accept?
Think I remember somewhere on these forums where one of the 4 or 6 cylinder Perkins engines having an available bellhousing to bolt to either a 4 or 5 speed box , may have been in an OKA or one of those off road 4X4's. But I may quite possibly be wrong, maybe it was a specially built adapter? Transmission was possibly a Fuller, or maybe a Dana-Spicer??
Dave_64
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: correction

More
7 years 8 months ago #173118 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic 53 Series Powered Trucks

600Dodge wrote: Do 8/53s actually exist?

Yes ... there was an old advert in Truck & Bus .... early 70s maybe ... ran for quite a while ...shows an LAD sleeper cabbed Leyland that had been refitted with an 8V53 ..... just gotta remember which issues it was in

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
7 years 8 months ago #173153 by Detroit Dreamer
G'day 600Dodge,

I never saw an 'on-highway' 8v53 when I worked at Detco, the ones I had anything to do with were out of tanks and boats. No doubt someone put one in a truck, maybe that would make a good project truck if you can find the right governor!

Hope that helps.............

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds