Skip to main content

USA army trailer ?

More
11 years 5 months ago #97646 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: USA army trailer ?
Swishy,

Unless I am mistaken the White bus and the White Motorhome are one and the same vehicle - all the windows match etc.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97647 by Marko66
Replied by Marko66 on topic Re: USA army trailer ?
Hi All

Just a quick question :) does it have eighteen inch rims and tyres with bolt together split rims

Regards Mark

More
11 years 5 months ago #97648 by Lang
Mark,

They have standard US 20" rims with lock ring.

Lang

More
11 years 5 months ago #97649 by Marko66
Replied by Marko66 on topic Re: USA army trailer ?
Hi All

Thanks Lang :) I am trying to get someting similiar up here and it has the eighteens on it so it may be british i guess or an aussie one

Regards Mark

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #97650 by Lang
Mark,

Sounds British/Australian. You might jump up to Blitz 20" which makes life easy for tyres or down to Blitz 16" if you want to keep the bolt together style.The stud pattern should be the same.

Lots of British (Bedford etc) civilian lock-ring wheels fit that stud pattern too.

Lang
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Lang.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 5 months ago #97651 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: USA army trailer ?

Lang
Gudday M8

Peninsula bus lines had more than one articulated bus th@ ran the troops down to Portsea n back on RnR
the White in the pic th@ looks like taken @ Rye on the Mornington Peninsula Looks 2 B a White WC 18 or 20
Where by the olmans twaz a White WC22 me thinks

Here B sum other rare beastiez

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #97652 by Lang
Swishy,

Thanks.

Wonder how many little old ladies got dragged under the wheels because they were slow getting on. The White driver only had those tiny 4" mirrors - surely they had a conductor in the trailer who rang the stop start bell?

Just noticed something - is that Portsea bus Left Hand Drive?

Lang
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97653 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: USA army trailer ?
Thanks for that Lang. The trailer tares pretty heavy.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97654 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Well done Steve. Be great to have that trailer going to be able to take to rallies. Regards, Stephen

Kind Regards

More
11 years 5 months ago #97655 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: USA army trailer ?
More from Lang;
Different manufacturers had different construction methods so while the weight capacity and dimensions remained the same Freuhauf had a rounded deck drop while others had square. Some may have had a very square edge on the roof line while others were rounded etc.

You know the army jeep has these differences with Ford and Willys doing things a different way. Some of the bits don't even look the same but all bolt holes match and they are fully interchangable.

Nearly half the trailers, even bogey trailers, had electric brakes. This makes sense as only the relatively tiny number of prime movers and wreckers had air brakes and most trailers (on dollys) had to be towed by anything. The brake light circuit was used for activation.

They started making these from the WW1 onwards, obviously getting bigger and more sophisticated as time went by.

There were similar trailers made in Australia to be towed by blitz but they generally are smaller and have British pattern wheels. As far as I am aware there were only USA made ones of your larger size. If you start trawling through WW2 photos you will often see this type of trailer in the background (not interesting enough for photographers to feature) particularly in Europe but in all theatres of war. I am sure the yanks brought out many of this style and the Australian forces are more than likely to have ended up with a good number.

Back in the 80's a mate of mine had the twin brother to yours. It was set up for the US Navy as a torpedo compressed air trailer (the US Submarines based out of Brisbane) with a LeRoy multi-stage compressor and banks of pipes for high pressure cylinders. There was the remains of a small workshop with lathes etc at one end. Unfortunately it went to scrap about 1990.

I vaguely remember Wridgeways coming to our house in Perth in 1956 with a Foden towing a "huge" trailer to pick up our furniture to take to Melbourne. I think there would be a good chance it was one of these.

Lang

And Onetrack, bless him, applied his forensic mind and come up with a war time photo on
www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/27962

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds