Skip to main content

Crawlin' the Hume 2014 - April 12-13

More
10 years 1 month ago #114785 by modela2010
Well the Dodgy Inter made it down this morning. Me and young mate need to borrow some sleeps from those who won't be using theirs tonight. It was a big day yesterday.

Parked up around the corner from the starting line, but maybe we should leave tonight and join lorry builder at the other line at Albury. Might be able to beat the rush??? ;)

see you lot tomorrow!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #114786 by scratcha
Im working nights so miss out on the actual run. But....ill see you mob for a coffee in the morning at the start line! Then ill go get some sleep!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
10 years 1 month ago #114787 by Lorry Builder
Arrr yeeer
G'day fellas, Lorry Builder ere
Don't wurry about the Ol Lorry, Fishy
Ive told yas all bfore theres no flies on Ol Lorry
You jokas arnt putin it overme this time

I been watchin yas, dun wurry about that
No abrany for me, im camped up ere in Broadmeadow with the ol c1800 R mudel scanvo
Got meself a new EPS, no more backtrackin for me n Wal
Ill tellya wot though, we add sum drama getting threw bluddy newcarstel.
Rainin Datsun cogs up ere ay

So thats us , we are ere, early as useual.
I erd they shut the bluudy falcon factry.
The sold the whole lot by the looks of it, not a ford factry ta be seen..
Anyow,i spose ill see yas all in tha morning ay

righto
good on me
LB :-/

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 1 month ago #114788 by Swishy
Good onya Lorry

We thort U musta disappeared orff D planet

hope U have tamed the horse to perforn in u're favor

told U orll along to cut 2 the chase in B cum screeemer friendly

Probly C U @ Start/Middle/Finish

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #114789 by Roderick Smith
I had a wonderful morning at Craigieburn, 7.25-9.00, Sat.12.4.14.
I don't know what left early and was missed.
I changed my planned spot to the traffic lights north of the road over rail bridge.
My memories are muddled. About one quarter genuine former Hume highwaymen, another quarter modern Hume, in current fleets (and staggering how many modern ones were now on historic plates). A mix of 1920s, 1930s, some 1940s.
A lot of farm and town local rigid trucks (mainly 1950s & 60s).
A lot of the modern beasts had an older one as a trailer load. A lot of the modern ones were prime mover without trailer.
Most had only a solo driver; many had a mate; some had a wife/partner; one had his 11 yo son, learning to be an adult in an adult world; one had a dog, sitting to attention in the passenger seat.
I recognised many vehicles and some people from other events; and many recognised me and waved or tooted.
As I waited, about every two rally vehicles were matched by one local one: tradies, garden supplies, supermarket supplies. Not many were Sydney departures: they are afternoon. A few surprised locals were photographed; I couldn't always pick up the rally label.
For a rally ceilinged on 250, I was surprised to see so many 300s. I suspect that numbering this year started where the expensive labels finished the previous event.
I saw about 50 in the first 20 min, then another 50 in 20 min, then a 30 in 20 , then perhaps 20, then back to the petrol station for more tea, and to the station for today's railway event (a farewell to Hitachi trains, in service for just over 40 years).
I had a 50% success rate with the digital: often too slow to respond. The worst muckup was with the clustered gaggle of 1920s.
I was impressed with the majority of the postwar vehicles: an exhaust which wasn't raucous, just burbling with perfectly-set injectors/valves/timing/rings, and good exhausts: silenced, and no blue smoke. The prewar ones had a different note, but were confident and certainly not 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. Thank the caring and skilled owners, who put in regular maintenance and prepping time. There were clusters of friends, often two of a kind makes. Others were running randomly: front to the starting zone and go, and the traffic lights set the pace.
I have been to static rallies in all my transport hobbies: cars, trucks/buses, trains, boats small & large), aircraft (small, large, and military). I have been in the fleet in many. This one captured the mood of most: all year maintaining, the final week cleaning, prepping and provisioning, the opening morning up before dawn to position, dawn off and away, the first half hour adusting gear and settings, getting clear of the starting point, and then settling in for the long haul. My railway hobby is the odd one out, as the others have private owners of individual machines. Having two locos on one train is common; having two trains at one event is fairly frequent; having anything more at one event is rare indeed. Like the trucks, our departure from the city is governed by geography: get out of the suburbs, and then beat up to the summit (we have lots of Pretty Sally equivalents), then continue for the day out to the inland.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 1 month ago #114790 by COOTA
home in one piece
just a quick thanks to all organisers and participants for a great weekend

More
10 years 1 month ago #114791 by Roderick Smith
My next six:

Roderick B Smith

A welcome participant from NSW.

More
10 years 1 month ago #114792 by geoffb
Thanks to all involved and organized a great event and bring the good weather
(How did ole mate in the B model get one with Highway patrol any one know)

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #114793 by Roderick Smith
Five videos from a friend on Pretty Sally. How was that climb ever traumatic? Just watch (and listen) and admire the confidence as everyone strides to the summit, and the grey 1920s overtakes a cluster 50 years younger.
<
;
The second includes the cluster of 1920s trucks: this isn't what they were built to achieve, but they are quite at home and looking (and sounding) good.
<
;
So many of these were built for this run. They might be retired, but like our preserved steam locos, they can still deliver.
<
;
<
;
<
;
That's all (at five, but there may be a sixth later). It was everything which a good rally should be, great for spectators and great for particpants.

Roderick B Smith
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

More
10 years 1 month ago #114794 by bparo
Thanks Roderick. You got me twice on the photos and the video looks good too. I will watch them again soon

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds