Skip to main content

Please help with IH 766 Information

More
7 years 10 months ago #171546 by Timmsy
Yes is a great tractor and will look like new with the IH red and white paint. Will be a handsome machine.

The D358 is a good motor if maintained (like all motors), regular oil and filter, try and keep the throttle down a bit. That is don't drive at full noise, and limit the use of the torque amplifier by waiting till machine has warmed up, use it when required not every minute or two. If it troubles you a TA lockout kit can be fitted, ours still works well, the key being regular maintenance.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of your red powered machine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #171958 by Urchy87
Well the day finally came. Backed up to the gyral and gave it a tug (picture below). Pulled it rather easily. I only worked 100m or so before I thought I should pull up.

I have thought for a little bit that the engine could be glazing then an older chap I know said he owned one from near new and his words were that 'they were prone to slobber a bit'. So I just took it as that. I have only done light work with it so far and the previous owner had done the same thing.

So back to the story, there is a bit of black fluid coming from the exhaust manifold (picture below). Is it due to it being glazed and is there anything I can do about it?

It was smoking quite a bit once the heat got to it. Would it ignite or just burn off? Sorry, a few questions there. Cheers.

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #171965 by Mrsmackpaul
work it hard for a day or so and it will be fine I would think they all glaze up when not working hard

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #171969 by Urchy87
Thanks Paul. That's what I was hoping to hear. Great pics. What model Inter is that with the larger front wheels. Is it FWA?

More
7 years 9 months ago #171977 by lower yp sth aust
all the ones we have had only were run on straight 30 oil which stopped them glazing and using oil

More
7 years 9 months ago #171984 by Urchy87
Thanks lower yp sth aust. That's interesting to know. I ended up using shell Rimula X 10w40 I think. That's what they had in their chart for this tractor. Next change I might ring around and look into switching over to a strait 30 grade.

More
7 years 9 months ago #171988 by Urchy87
Lower yp sth aust I just remembered I asked the question on oils some time ago so I just looked for it. Back then you said multi grades could cause glazing. This may prove your theory. I will give it a good run to see if it clears things up. It's only been working around the garden for the past 2 years.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172004 by Mrsmackpaul
mines a 886 B one of the last ones made as far as oil goes I never get to high tech because Im not that smart I use farm type oil and never have any problems but then again I work my tractor fairly hard all the time so glazing up is never gunna happen to it

farm oils are universal type of thing can be used in hydraulics, gear boxes and motors of both petrol and diesel

Yeah and mine is FWA and they work real well once you sought them out and do the Paul upgrades

Paul

More
7 years 9 months ago #172006 by Urchy87
Paul upgrades sound like they would be high end aftermarket modifications.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172011 by Mrsmackpaul
no mate simple mods done by and made by me so they wont be high end thats for sure

Paul

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds