Skip to main content

My Dodge D5N Finished....nearly

More
8 years 4 months ago #165572 by oldgmc
Great job WA looks fantastic, is that an original colour and the 360 cube easy drivin does it have a Torque Flite

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165575 by hayseed

WA Dodge wrote: Hayseed - yes copied the old tub but modified to suit the things I didn't like about the original. A mate rolled the top edges for me which was my design, sort of F truck/dodge! The bars on the bottom are just straight 30mm tube. I panted it black underneath before finished to save tipping the finished one upside down. I built it on top of my old trailor as made a good work bench height. Here is a couple of photos of the tub build.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Thanks for that, WA Dodge..
Now get out & enjoy the fruits of your labour..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 4 months ago #165576 by trucksyd
Looks great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WA Dodge

More
8 years 4 months ago #165578 by WA Dodge
AT4114 - Bryant , yes is running the 4.1 gears but initial indications are that with the 360 the top end speed is lacking. Was reading the other day that maybe swapping out for a 3.5 ratio is better. I wont be towing or hauling so am looking for purely cruising. Whats your thoughts? Regards Michael

More
8 years 4 months ago #165579 by WA Dodge
oldgmc - yes I like the colour. No it is not an original but one I made up. Wanted a colour that was sort of old style but with a slight modern twist. I am running the old 4 speed manual truck box. I guess i like trucks to have a manual box, call me old school !

More
8 years 4 months ago #165588 by Zuffen
Funny I just swapped from 4.11:1 to 4.83:1 and love it.

That said he auto my has a 1.5:1 overdrive so I can live with it.

A ratio change does odd things.

Give it serious thought before you do it as every hill will be steeper than it was but it will be much nicer on the flat bits.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165589 by AT4114
Hey michale I've talked with a local diff rebuilder about the diff ratio in my dodge as I'm running a 318 with the original 4 speed box and intend on it being my daily driver after a few calculations he recommended fitting a 3.5 ratio center as the 4.11 at 100klms will be working so I will be changing the ratio eventually but on the bright side at a set of lights it should smoke the tyres :woohoo: B) B)

More
8 years 4 months ago #165590 by defective
...AFAIK, the lower the ratio numerically, the higher the road speed...but it will also want to sniff the hills out even more so ...and you can forget about smoking the tyres too much @ 3.5 compared to 4.83

More
8 years 4 months ago #165594 by AT4114
Hey defective your spot on 4.11 ratio for tyre action at the lights the 3.5 is another kettle of fish a good mate down the south coast has swaped out his 4.11 to a 3.5 in his D5N 200 with a hemi six he has said its a much nicer truck to drive at highway speeds and has lost a little staying power up hills but he's not holding traffic up :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #165606 by asw120
I'm thinking the 360 should pull that around town OK. I had a D1110 with 6-281 and 3.54 D60. It was great on the highway and still pulled every hill OK unladen. (although all the hills around here @60 K's it felt overgeared in top, it did pull them OK and an eight should be smoother I'm thinking)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds