Skip to main content

Truck wiring lights

More
7 years 6 months ago #175419 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic Truck wiring lights

thanks for your help gents ...a couple more small things & shes going in for rego check..hopefully get it on the road soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #175421 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Truck wiring lights
Generally if you have other lights coming on as well as the circuit you are using then there is a bad ground/earth.
The circuit in use is going to ground through the other bulbs causing them to glow/light up.
Cannot help with the flasher/reverse set up but that is the way my 86 F350 works, some fancy switching in the indicator switch.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: trucksyd

More
7 years 6 months ago #175426 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Truck wiring lights
I think both indicators being reverse was common for a long time. Dad's XW and XB and my LC all did the same thing it was is XD that first had separate reversing lights amongst our family vehicles

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 6 months ago #175427 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic Truck wiring lights
That's what I thought , I remember seeing it on a couple of my old valiants , but wasn't sure if trucks had the White/clear reverse lens ....I tried to wire up the reverse to the blinkers but that didn't work .

More
7 years 6 months ago #175430 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Truck wiring lights
Hey Trucksyd
Usually if the lights go out of whack if a globe or fuze blows, it is a sign of a bad earth. I have found that running an independant earth from battery earth usually solves a lot of problems. As far as the reverse lights, i can't remember if these where fitted to these old bangers, but it certainly sounds as though you have a reverse switch fitted, if this is the case, just running an extra wire with the loom for the clear reverse lights should not take long. Also check the earth strap from the block to the chassis is good, or even there.
Cheers
Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #175432 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Truck wiring lights
From memory these have changeover contacts in the indicator switch for the back indicators from original.

Earlier models ran the indicators to the brake lights (pre 1959). The AA workshop manual shows this.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by asw120.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 6 months ago #175438 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Truck wiring lights
Mount a separate switch on the dash U can hit wen selecting reverse
or
fit a micro on/off switch @ floor level th@ the gear lever hits wen in reverse

cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 6 months ago #175441 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Truck wiring lights
Reversing lights for trucks wasn't mandated for trucks until June 1975. Was required on cars at an earlier date.

• Chocs
7 years 6 months ago #175447 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Truck wiring lights
For the indicators and reverse to share the same globe, there is a diode fitted to the system, on fords I reckon it was a black box on the firewall.
Not sure about Dodges / Inters.

Check on your gearbox for a two wire switch.
Take them both off.
Use the test light between one of the wires and earth. You may need the ignition ON.
One of the wires will be live.
Fit the live wire back onto the switch.
Put the truck in reverse, with the key ON, the other side of the switch should now be live.
Run a wire from that terminal to each clear light .

Failing that:
Come off a positive terminal on the ignition switch (In ON position), or positive battery.
Take that one to one side of a toggle switch, and from the other side of the toggle switch go to the clear lights.

Hope that helps a bit?

chocs

• Chocs
7 years 6 months ago #175448 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Truck wiring lights

mammoth wrote: Reversing lights for trucks wasn't mandated for trucks until June 1975. Was required on cars at an earlier date.

If there are additional lights fitted, they MUST operate in a manner for which they were designed, Irrespective of year;
Otherwise it would be deemed unroadworthy.

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds