Skip to main content

Leyland Super Hippos

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80360 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
I'd take a guess and say the Super Hippo had a 680 and the Hippo scored the old 600.
Similarly the 400 Comet engine got a nitrided crank and became the 401 and then finally a turbo to become the 410.
But I could be wrong......
Thought I was once but I'd made a mistake.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #80361 by
Replied by on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
idstbc too...but i think the ''super'' description is whether it's a bogie drive or not... ??

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80362 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
I dont think so, there was a Super Beaver and the Beaver only came in single drive.
but ISTBC on this

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80363 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
oldfella,jeffo,Detective,atkipete,
The answer to the question Super is a bonneted or long nose truck ,nothing to do with wheels,Super Hippo,,Super Beaver,,,,,Hippo ,Beaver, were cab overs. Beavers were only single drive Super or not.So it was a mistake on my part at the start .Leyland Super Hippo should have been the forum post heading
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #80364 by
Replied by on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
thanks for the clarification Mairjimmy.. :) :) ;)

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80365 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
PS to last post,
Cabs were made by Athol& Hedges as oldfella stated,
The trailer on the Macks in the picture are McGrath 40 ft but that didnot happen till 1963 or there about,the 4 Macks were purchased around 1961 with 2 new McGrath 40 ft trailer and they kept there 6 old trailers till around 1963 when they purchased 4 more McGrath.The old crates an trailers went to a Lion park up there some were to put lions in ..I beleave truck NO5 is still about up in QLD at Wondon,hope that spelt right.
oldfella is not the only one who has senior moments
Colin.

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80366 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
The term "Super" isn't consistent across the range.The trucks at the top of this post are Super Hippos (type EH,Export Hippo) and "super" here means they have a bonnet.With EHs and EBs the word "Super" is ghostly.It doesn't appear on the trucks themselves,badgeing, service literature,etc.
Same with Super Beavers (type EB,Export Beaver).Beavers,Super Beavers,Hippos and Super Hippos are the same,or very similar,mechanical spec.EH and EB were not generally for sale "at home",the UK.
"Super"Comets started at a GVW of 14 tons and had 10 stud wheels whereas Comets only went up to 13t,GVW and ran on 8 studs.Super Comets weren't available 'till about 1961ish and therefore are only LAD and Ergo cab.Various Super Comets had 400/401/410 engines over the years depending on the year of manufacture.
"Super"Reiver differs from Reiver only by having a 10 stud (heavier)front axle and uprated front springs but GVW remains the same for both ?? Don't know what the point of that is.
Super Clydesdale seems only to signify Ergo cab as opposed to LAD.
"Super"Buffalo (70s) is bogie drive,Buffalo is single drive,same mechanics.
The Marion Downs Hippos are 1949 models except for No7 which should be mechanically the similar as the others but is of 1952/3 to 1957/8 build.It has a full English double skin steel cab,round guards,big lights on stalks and straight steering column to the steering box.1958 Supers got square guards,dual Lucas headlights and a flat steering wheel with a jointed column to the box which stayed in the same position.
Standard power '48-53 was 0600,53-62 was 0680 and 0680 PowerPlus after that with the EHs getting hub reduction in 1962 as well.70s EHs had 0690s and (in Aust) RTO913s.
"Super"Bison is 0690/Roadranger,Bison is 500/501/Leyland rangechange 10speed.Both look the same and have the same weight range.They're 6x4 Ergos.
And "Super Mammoth" is one mean looking bonneted AEC primemover that seems to have only been built for South African Railways and is totally unlike anything else that AEC made in the truck line.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80367 by Cams290
Replied by Cams290 on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
Here is one in action

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80368 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
Thanks Rufo, it is one of those simple questions that doesnt have a simple answer. When I look on the net I can see plenty of Ergo and LAD cab Super Comets. Did the LAD cab enjoy a revival or did the Ergo fall out of favour in Australia?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #80369 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Leyland Hippos
The LAD cab had a longer life in export markets as it was more durable, and cheaper. However, after the intoduction of the ergo cab the LAD was mainly seen on Albions and hybrids(often badged as leyland in Aus) as opposed to genuine Lancashire built Leylands. The ergo cab worked very well for local work with the small motor but for long distance with the big motors it became a liability due to engine over heating, cramped driver space, and a vulnerable windsceen.
The BMC cab, as fitted to Boxers, took over from the LAD and was put onto Albion built trucks such as the Reiver.
hmmm, Leyland Group history 101. I think Cemente is good for a diploma!

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds