Skip to main content

Leyland Contractors, ours and yours: Some Qustions

More
14 years 8 months ago #12930 by Tatra
Swishy,

Thanks for the pics mate (superb collection of vehicles, by the way)- I found another pic of that Contractor on the CCMV [ftp] ccmv.fotopic.net/ [/ftp]. A couple more on Hi-Haul's site ([ftp] www.hihaul.com.au/index.html [/ftp]).

I note it's badged as Scammell - still don't understand why (in Oz) some were badged as Scammells while others as Leylands :-?

Mark, Greenie,

Allison auto - not Willson epicyclic? "Ours" all had Fuller 15sp (there were few civvy ones with Willsons), so at least this was not the problem. The impression I got was that, as I noted above, the Cummins was really a Pommy Cummins and not built to the same standards as US 335s, the cab was noisy AND would fall apart. No reduction hub issues: in Israel there were few places where you can really strech a truck out for top speed (and IDF ones were limited to 60 k when loaded anyway).

On the other hand, the chassis was built like a 19th century bridge :)

I suppose for the time they bridged the gap between the Diamond T 980/981 and the next standard prime mover, the Mack DM800 (also, in general, fitted with 335 (E9s were initially problematic in service))...

Having said all that, a big company like Mammoet was using them (yours or ours - I still am not sure) as late as last year... I suppose with a 400 Cummins (god knows what they have under the bonnet now) and Fuller tranny you could earn a wage with them...

Cheers,

T

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago #12931 by Swishy

TaTra
GuddayM8
Them ol Scammells were jist to heavy to cut the mustard
A truck here in Australia has to B competitive with a semi flat top trailer or Heavy Haul
for memory them Scammells tip the scales @ 14 ton where by sum yanky iron might only B 10- 12 ton

The Yello Water cart I got pictured above had a Wilson epileptic cogbox in it 4 memory

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 8 months ago #12932 by Tatra
Swishy,

You mean, you have max weight regs down under and people observe them :o?

Way back then in Israel everybody used to overload (well, the country being the size of a Melbourne suburb, you can't really make much on Shekel per Km, can ya?)

T'was usual to see things like Super Beavers and Maxydine Macks crawling at 5-10 Ks up the hills, maxing way over what the Pomms or the Yanks ever had in mind...

It's a bit different nowadays (you get sent to the scales) and KW makes a big thing of the fact their trucks are lighter than the Europeans as well as more fuel efficient.

Cheers

T

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 8 months ago #12933 by Swishy

TaTra
GuddayM8
Sme again
LOL

RE:You mean, you have max weight regs down under and people observe them
Well its easy work ifn U run legal
we R a large population in a small state of Australia th@ is over governd n highly taxed so there B more law inforcemnt officers here than other states

RE: T'was usual to see things like Super Beavers and Maxydine Macks crawling at 5-10 Ks up the hills, maxing way
WE have the same here xcept they aint SuperBeaverz n Maxidynes
they B just MT Bedphords tryin to get out the way of the real trucks

LOL

OnlyJokenBedphordOwnerz

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 8 months ago #12934 by Tatra
Mr. Swishy mate,

Well, highly taxed and over-governed is the same in Israel and Austria (where I live nowadays) >:(

You can carry this sort of weight around legally but with 7 axles. Even little roadtrains (100T GCW) are possible (but only on certain roads).

Bedfords were very thin on the ground in Israel - we had locally made Dodge 400s for this (slant sixes mostly - I don't think I need to say more).

Cheers,

T

14 years 4 months ago #12935 by
Tatra - All the Aussie Army Contractors that I ever saw were Scammells .. I never saw a single one badged as a Leyland .. ?

Here's one we had in Vietnam. An impressive rig when running, it would do over 80 kmh easily with a fully equipped (blade, canopy, winch) Caterpillar D8H on her back .. but more often than not, she had to be towed home .. :'(

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #12936 by Tatra
Onetrack,

First, many thanks for the pic - a typical Aussi Contractor with disc wheels and long cab...

Check out this thread on the Aussi Land Rover forum - www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-general/63891-l...nsporter-photos.html the refs are to Leyland and Scammell and if my memory does not deceive me when I was in Oz back in 1986 people I spoke to also seemed to recognise them as Leylands but thinking about it, there was no particular reason to badge them as Leylands for Oz. As I mentioned on the Atkinson thread, Leyland was doing business with the Arab countries AND Israel at the same time. Scammell was better known in the Arab countries and it would not have looked too good if it was found out that the IDF was using Scammells, hence the badging. However, in light of the chaotic production lines in all the Leyland divisions, I would not be surprised if a Leyland badge or two found their way into the Contractors which got sent downunder!

Talking about the g/box, as the advert below clearly states ;) the Wilson 8F2R was offered in Israel but there were a few takers and at least with the Fuller equipped ones box problems were not an issue. The ad talks about a "hydraulic clutch" with a centrifugally operated lockup device. They also state that a "number of these trucks were tested over a year under different conditions and loads and indeed the experiment has proved to be a complete success" ;D

Yes, the truck in the pic has a long cab and disc wheels also but most did not (short/spiders was the rule) - again, talk about Leyland/Scammell consistancy :-?

The Super Beaver on the left has an Israeli cab and the 5sp Wilson is also being "pushed". The Octopus was not popular - the only advantage was you could gross 27T but way back then nobody gave a $
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Tatra.

More
14 years 3 months ago #12937 by atkipete
Not a contractor but a Buffalo photo, sent to me by Hugh Schofield. In NZ somewhere, looks like a decent load there.

More
14 years 3 months ago #12938 by cribotow
This is the one from HMAS CERBERUS navy base down here, they used to tow the steamer engine around with it,we took it up to the Army museum at Bandiana where it will rest in peace :)
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/cribpointtowing/IMG_0950.jpg?t=1263888881http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/cribpointtowing/IMG_0951-1.jpg?t=1263888937

&&Grasp

More
14 years 3 months ago #12939 by atkipete
Was up at Bandiana a couple of weeks back and saw this one

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds