Skip to main content

Leyland Contractors, ours and yours: Some Qustions

More
10 years 4 months ago #12990 by Cunning Stunt
That's a shame Murray, it would be a beautiful old thing to see complimenting your W Model, and as usual, I'm sure you'd do it justice.

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #12991 by Tatra
^X2 :(

Going back to Contractors, a few posts back I linked to the pic of the integral sleeper Contractor which was the last of the breed in Israel. I don't remember seeing one of those back then but here's the proof, in IDF service in the 73 war crossing the bridgehead over the Suez canal. Pic is a screen shot of a Youtube vid I hit on by a chance (
), hence the bad quality. One more for the files...

Cab was cut-out on the RH side to allow for the spare tire which you would not have expected. Never saw it on other Contractors with integral sleepers (see Swishy's pic above).

Cheers

T

More
10 years 4 months ago #12992 by fageol100

Yes, Kevin Fairley drove both.
I did contemplate a restoration job on the Scammell at one time but it is still not available and is deteriorating more every time I see it....a rare truck out here.

Thanks for that Murray.

More
10 years 3 months ago #12993 by Tatra
Starting 2014 with one that died young - direct hit in the 1973 for this civilian Contractor, most likely drafted due to the emergency. Pic by Boaz Levin on the Israeli trucking nostalgia FB page.

9 years 2 months ago #12994 by
Opening an old thread here..
Driving around Wingfield today I spotted this old jigger.
Took a big breath,went in and asked if I could take a coupla photos.
A half hour chat later with an ol fella named Vince ( hell of a nice bloke BTW ) I left with the photos and a little info..
I thought it was a Leyland Contractor but turns out it's a Scammell.
Originally owned by Pat Keogh and apparently could pull Christ off the cross...
Enjoy. :)
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Apologies for the quality of the photos..
It was about midday and it's only a phone taking them... :P

More
9 years 2 months ago #12995 by Tacho
Wow 903 Cam, What part of Wingfield did you find that rare old bit of gear in. I might have to go for a look-see next time I'm down there.
Thanks for the pics. Geoff

More
9 years 2 months ago #12996 by mammoth
They are all Scammells through and through in spite of the parent company badge. When Leyland bought Scammell they let them run their own race and it was only at the end that they interfered to any degree. Having said that they wanted to option Crusaders with Cummins motors but that was a bit too close to the knuckle for the parent.
Was this eight wheeler from the Rhodes fleet?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #12997 by Bobsboy
Hi,

One thing sure;

It's a mean looking bugger.

Look at the size of the air cleaner !
This thing obviously wants lots of good air.

:o
-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
9 years 2 months ago #12998 by cemeNTepede
If this is ex Keogh then it was new to Angas Campbell,Mt.Isa as a body truck carting cattle.Originally AEC AV1100 powered,8sp SCG.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
9 years 2 months ago #12999 by oldfulla
cemeNTepede

I have no doubt that is the ex Campbell unit. The give-away is the bumper bar (cut down from a bull bar) with the main bar being fashioned from 2 pieces of angle joined across the centre.
Oldfulla

Time to create page: 0.617 seconds