Skip to main content

Transport and plant/equipment used in/on Snowy Scheme

More
7 years 10 months ago #171393 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Have read with interest some of the postings/photos that have been on these forums over a period of some time, e.g. the Antars, the floats used carting the gear etc.
Went for a bit of a browse on Mr.Google and although there is quite a few references, was thinking of a suggested book to while away a few hours on. Have been down to Cooma, albeit many, many years ago, some good photos to be found there, local library here doesn't have all that much to go on.
Perhaps some readers may be able to throw up some suggestions as to what I thought could be a fascinating part of Oz history, after all, at the time it was a massive undertaking. Just the transport side and the plant involved by the different companies/contractors would be worthy of some literature?
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171410 by Mrsmackpaul
The Snowy Mountain Scheme is a funny subject Dave you Google it and almost nothing comes yet it is classed as one of one of the seven engineering modern day marvels yet so little is spoken of it its almost taboo which is a real shame

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #171413 by eerfree
Dave,
I have a book called "The Snowy,The people behind the power" , It is more about the people that built the scheme than the Plant and Equipment.
It does have quite a few small photos of the Antar and some Tournapulls as well as other equipment, and it gives a fairly detailed history of the scheme as well as a fair few maps.
It may help your research.
Bob.
PS It was authored by Siobhan Mc Hugh.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by eerfree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 10 months ago #171420 by Dave_64
Thanks eerfree,
Something to go to my local library armed with. Not really research as such, just an avid reader. Worked down at Talbingo, last dam in the project, (Thiess Bros.) as a grease monkey way back in 1968 and of course too busy having a good time to ever take photo's etc.
Dave_64

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #171428 by Thunder Down Under
Dave_64
Talbingo. What a lovely place. I enjoyed quite a few holidays there in the early 80's. Skiing at Mt Selwyn and wandering around Kiandra and Cabramurra.
I was lucky to meet up with Clive Morse who ran the old Talbingo Hotel (now under water) and purchased his book, "The Guest Years of my Life". That was Easter 1981, so I suppose that he has since passed on. A true gentleman.
TDU
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Thunder Down Under.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171429 by Dave_64
Thanks, T.D.U. another one to go and badger the local library about!
Dave

More
7 years 10 months ago #171431 by busman
The Snowy was a visionary project, we seem to have lost the balls for something like that these days.
Plenty of scope, bring water down from the north, over the range, even a small project like using Boorumba dam as backup to Wivenhoe to stop Brisbane flooding, great idea, but where is the political will ?

My Uncle Bill was a contractor there, he had some stories. Started out with 1 truck, got to 17 at one stage, lost the lot, got them all back again etc etc, all playing cards, some of the Yugoslavs working there were real gamblers. He was a real character, ended up as Askin's bagman, had several knife scars on his face, he didn't get a lot of lip..

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171442 by Dave_64
Couldn't agree with you more!
Like the bit about Askin's 'bagman'. Haven't heard that term for a while

More
7 years 10 months ago #171443 by hayseed

busman wrote:
My Uncle Bill was a contractor there, he had some stories. Started out with 1 truck, got to 17 at one stage, lost the lot, got them all back again etc etc, all playing cards, some of the Yugoslavs working there were real gamblers. He was a real character, ended up as Askin's bagman, had several knife scars on his face, he didn't get a lot of lip..

Busman, sounds like the basis of another good Read....LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne

More
7 years 9 months ago #171574 by Thunder Down Under

Dave_64 wrote: Thanks, T.D.U. another one to go and badger the local library about!
Dave

Have replied to your PM Dave_64
TDU

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds