Skip to main content

Transport and plant/equipment used in/on Snowy Scheme

More
7 years 9 months ago #172250 by Dave_64
Just looking at the top photo, IF that is the hole-in-the-wall at Picton , south bound en route to Talbingo,(and to me it looks more like the viaduct at either Yerrinbool or Yanderra, but probably wrong, only going by the signwriting re "hotel") and those guys at the back there look suspiciously like Dept of Motor Transport inspectors. SURELY someone would have checked the height and clearance when applying for the permits. Unless of course, those blokes were just big-noting themselves and took it into their heads and do a 'spot check', no one in their right mind would either attempt to go through there without checking clearance, nor would anyone pull up a vehicle to run the tape over the height, if that's what the bloke on the right is doing. You get that far, it leaves very little room for maneuvering or backing up. Where are you going to cross the Main Southern line if not there? Or, cross the river for that matter. Puzzling.
BTW, thanks for bunging those pics up, Andy950.
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172295 by overnite
With reference to the hole in the wall pic,I'd guess the suits are from Wack & Jacks, checking their toy. Wouldn't be DMR dressed like that.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by overnite.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172299 by andy950
Dave 64 Sorry was mentioned as taken at yerrinbool and the dirt road is gocup road between Gundagai and Tumut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172304 by Dave_64
Don't wish to be over pedantic, nor a nit-picker, but just on the comment #172295 posted. Wouldn't have been blokes from Waugh and Joey's, Tutt Bryant were the agents for Wabco (Haulpaks),(opposition to Cat) yes, possibly their blokes.
Before DMR took over manning of weighbridges and policing of same, the DMT (Department of Motor Transport) who also ran all the licensing sections (this was back in the late sixties, 67-68 when those movements were being undertaken), used to not only man Berowra and Marulan, but also had a roving commission. Often used to see them swanning about in Holden station wagons. The only reason I am almost sure of the way they dressed, shirt and tie, was I used to go with my bro quite a bit and they (DMT inspectors) quite often used to work the Putty Road. No turning back to evade them, unless you tried to wait them out.
BUT, IDSTBC! Maybe someone can verify this? Not worth causing any ill feeling about.
Also, that photo taken on the dirt road between Gundagai and Tumut makes sense as it would have kept those loads away from the old high level bridge across the flood plains over the Murrumbidgee. narrow at best of times as well as hard turns at both ends, especially at the South end.
Dave_64
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: Addition

More
7 years 9 months ago #172328 by Thunder Down Under
[quote="Dave_64"(Snip)Also, that photo taken on the dirt road between Gundagai and Tumut makes sense as it would have kept those loads away from the old high level bridge across the flood plains over the Murrumbidgee. narrow at best of times as well as hard turns at both ends, especially at the South end.
Dave_64[/quote]

Do you think that old bridge would have taken the weight, Dave? I crossed it numerous times when caravan hauling to Melbourne. As well as being narrow, (I am sure that two trucks couldn't pass on it) it was rough as guts to boot. :blink:

TDU

More
7 years 9 months ago #172329 by Dave_64
TDU,
You may have misread what I wrote, but more likely I didn't make myself fully clear.
I meant that to AVOID the old Gundagai (Hume Hwy) bridge, they would have turned off before town, there was an old road to Tumut back Jugiong side, heading East, think that was the Gocup Road.Bought you out near Lacmalac??) Still would have had to cross the Murrumbidgee somewhere. You are correct though, the old wooden highway bridge would neither have taken the weight nor given enough room to maneuver, I would think. BUT, IDSTBC.
Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172332 by Thunder Down Under
Dave_64
Have just dragged out an old 72 road map. I see there is a road from Coolac east to Tumorrama on the Wee Jasper road. Is this the one you're thinking of? I also see that the Gocup road is dirt or was and leaves from south of Gundagai.
This is very interesting, I did intend to get over to the Snowy this winter and have a good sniff around but I think I have left it a bit late. The mystery deepens. :unsure:
TDU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172334 by Dave_64
TDU,
I thought the turnoff was further northbound, I stand corrected! For some reason (old age? old timers disease?) I probably confused Coolac with Jugiong. But I would place more faith in your 1972 map than my memory. Yes, it does get interesting because somewhere or other, they would still have to cross the Murrumbidgee River as Talbingo was more to the south of Tumut. With a bit of luck maybe even an ex PCT driver may be a member of the forum, can throw a few ideas up. Not necessarily only ex-PCT as there would have been many wide, over dimensional loads carted south out of Sydney back in the early days.
Still like to know how they got ANY of those over dimensional loads past the hole-in-the-wall at Picton, though.
I have not been down in that area for many,many years now and when did so, always on the new high level Hume Hwy bridges. In fact someone or other told me that although that old bridge is still there, it is cordoned off, but kept for hysterical reasons. Apparently they built a ramp on the northern approach and when not flooded, can still get down on the riverbank, but cannot cross.
Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172340 by Thunder Down Under
Dave
This gets more interesting every post.
Crossing the river? a temporary causeway? perhaps a 'Bailey Bridge'?
The hole in the wall at Picton? Now, how do we get around that? Perhaps south down Bulli (hairy :woohoo: ) then turn right. Macquarie Pass or Kangaroo Valley? Nah, don't think so. too steep and twisty.
Keep going south to Tomerang, turn right to Braidwood then north to Goulburn or through Captains Flat and through ACT. The only other way that I can see, would be to continue through to Bega and in through the back door via Cooma.
As you say, hopefully someone that has more knowledge will be able to enlighten us. :blink:
TDU
ps. How did you go with the book?

More
7 years 9 months ago #172341 by hayseed
You wouldn't push a Wheelbarrow over It today..
I took this Pic 3 years ago,& It's only got worse.
The next big flood will be the end of It I reckon..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.688 seconds