Skip to main content

Transport and plant/equipment used in/on Snowy Scheme

More
7 years 9 months ago #172034 by Dave_64
Just going on those gear shift diagrams on the dash board of the Antar, would they have been running David Brown gearboxes, similar to some of the early Fodens??

Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172036 by Dave_64
What about diffs? Kirkstall Omega??

Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172057 by andy950
I think the only surviving part of these 3 Antars is a grill out of one, the one the Ryes have at Berridale isnt from the scheme. :)
Also if anyone is interested there are some photos on facebook on a page called "old NSW album" theres pics of a peterbilt low loader with a dump truck going through the hole in the wall, very tight squeeze.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by andy950.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172062 by bruehawk
This photo from the National Library shows the Antar's descending down the access road to T1 Power Station from Cabramurra. The load is made of concrete blocks and was a test run to ensure that it would all go to plan when the generating equipment was transported into the power station. The trucks have just changed direction at one of the switchbacks. Phil Rye has two Antar trucks in his collection, both obtained from the UK.

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #172076 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Lifting stuff from facebook
What's the ruling on stuff posted on Facebook anyway? Once up, is it fair game to everyone? I wanted to have a look at that Pete with the float going through the hole-in-the-wall, suspecting it's one of Canningtons.

Anyway someone who is facebook savvy (I'm not even on it, enough trouble getting on an ordinary forum) may be able to get a copy and post it here?
Thanks, Dave_64

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172079 by Swishy
Davo
Gudday m8

Tha@ BnW pic BruHawk put up
wunder
if they unhook in the swing basin n rehook Arse about n tow the trailer backwards
az there dun seem nuff turning area to get the big wompus around

RE: PetePic
U mean thiz n Y/N

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/984304_1587397328211689_1215799251833666128_n.jpg?oh=4b3ba645e33711be9ad4748f9d167666&oe=582B75A1

leme kno if nutn developes

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 9 months ago #172081 by Dave_64
Thanks for that one, Ted. The one I couldn't get was one off facebook, apparently one of a float (Canningtons?) coming through the Picton viaduct. I'm not on it (facebook) so can't see a piccy. Going by the posting, had a rear dumper on, probably one of those Haulpak 75's??
Dave

More
7 years 9 months ago #172085 by hayseed
Swishy, Pretty sure there's enough room to the Left (out of Frame) to get it all around. I have seen other pics of that road..

Dave, That pic you're looking for might be in here somewhere ( I haven't looked right through for a while) .
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/6755-cann...t-pct-road-lines-p-l ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172093 by Southbound
Swishy is on the money, the switchback going down to T1 is too tight to swing that load around in. I did 3 loads down there last year in a normal semi and it takes a few goes to complete the turn
Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Southbound.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172096 by rex
There is no way they could go around the switch back with that gear.
We have during the last three Years delivered seven new Transformers down and seven old ones back up.
You go forward down to the switchback and reverse to T1. the Transformer is in Beams due to a height of
4.90 metres. the old Transformers were of an expensive build and could be rolled on their side, due mainly to the equipment when they were installed.
We took the old Transformers out going forward from T1 on an 8 axle platform, did a several point turn at the switchback and worked our way uo to the top travelling in a forward direction.
Given what we had to do the job and what the men had with the Antars to work with, I tip my hat to them, wish there were a few like them looking to help me get the job done now.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds