Good pix ReX ( other than the 'V'Bus slugz }

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172103 by Zuffen
Rex had to use 2 Volvo's as there wasn't room for 5 Kenworths!

More
7 years 9 months ago #172142 by Dave_64
Rex,
Noticed those photo's were date-posted 11 July 2016. But just when was the actual shift done? Also, you said that you took one of the old transformers out on it's side. I gather part of your job was also to get rid of the old ones. Just what happened to them? Would they go for scrap or possibly relocated somewhere, even overseas??
Cheers, Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172158 by grandad

Dave_64 wrote: Just going on those gear shift diagrams on the dash board of the Antar, would they have been running David Brown gearboxes, similar to some of the early Fodens??

Dave_64

here's a pic of the Antar engine & gearbox, looks like they used their own
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by grandad. Reason: no pic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172162 by Dave_64
Grandad,
Thanks for posting that pic, fair lump of an engine! Just looking at the generator mounted amidships, different!
Also, would the engine and transmission have been separated like that just for display purposes? Reason asked is have seen a similar set up where the clutch housing is apart from both the transmission and the back of the motor, actually an older idea. We are probably more used to seeing the bellhousing either cast in one piece and bolted to either the back of it (motor) or to an adapter plate, then the flywheel/clutch and pressure plate attached directly to the back of the crank.
I suppose what threw me a bit was the forward facing gear shift levers, but being in a conventional truck layout with such a long engine and transmission, the sticks would have almost been level with the back of the cab, at floor level I mean.
If that is the V8 version (Meteor) of the Merlin engine, I would have thought they would have required a lot more air ducting and cowling or possibly it has also been removed for display purposes? Looking at the front of the engine for an external harmonic balancer, unless it was inside the front of the engine casting.
Thanks again, Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172195 by rex
Hello Dave_64 and Swishy mate.
The first photos are related to what I consider the most difficult job we have undertaken, Burrinjuck upgrade. It involved delivering one new Transformer, recovering two old units for scrapping. Photo with the Bulldozer was taken in the late 30s bringing in the new Transformer, the photo of our trailer removing it was early 2000.
The other photos show the new replacement Transformer and also our Bridge, we needed to bring our own Bridge due to the wooden Bridges on the only Road in not being capable of carrying our loads.
The last photo with the 2 X 4 Axle Platforms and Volvo's were taken delivering one of the seven new Transformers to Tumut 1, we also removed the seven old Transformers for delivery to scrap merchants.
The Transformers are all single phase, six are in service and one is a spare, the delivery and removal was spread over a 30 Month period.
We have now commenced removing the Taps/Valves for overhaul, they each weigh around 70 tonnes.
Trusting the above information is helpful, I must say however we are not up to the bravery and what must have been sheer determination of the men who delivered the Transformers in the late 30s,
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172197 by Swishy
ReX
Gudday M8
Hope u aint got busted knuckles from lay n under them 'V'buses to try n make m mobile

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bit of ancient history

[img

Clikty ........................ clikclikclunk

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 9 months ago #172227 by rex
Swishy mate
Volvo's are fine, more broken axles on Kenworth's.
You are right saying parts are available everywhere for American Trucks, it's called supply and demand, and there is plenty of demand.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172230 by Swishy
Rex M80

Jist hope U dun do an axle

coz U may have to go to the wharf n scrounge thru the cargo go n china

OR

Wait in a cue fir a few months while they make an Axle 4 U

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cya