Skip to main content

Transport and plant/equipment used in/on Snowy Scheme

More
7 years 9 months ago #172343 by Thunder Down Under
Is it listed as an heritage site? That would be right, no maintenance and wait for it to eventually fall over. Just like they have done in the west here with the old wooden jetties.

TDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172344 by dno
I thought Hawker Noyes were the Wabo distributors way back then ?
Or at least in Vic they were as far as I'm aware.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172353 by Swishy
Here in Vic Way Way back when Tutt Bryant were agent for LeTournea/Wabco

Tutts were like Blackwood Hodge ( agent for everything n parts for nun ... other than filters n a horn button etc LOL)

;) :lol: ;)

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 9 months ago #172356 by dno
^^^ thanks swishy

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172358 by Swishy
May B Komatsu in Vic BCame Wabco agent

BIDSTBC

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 9 months ago #172360 by Dave_64
Couple of blokes on this forum worked on this gear back in the 60's. Blackwood Hodge were Euclid/Terex distributors in NSW, Tutt Bryants were le Torneau Westinghouse/Wabco also in NSW. The Haulpak 75 ton rear dumpers as well as the Trojan 8000 front end loaders were taken to Talbingo (by Canningtons(PCT) from Sydney end). They(Wabco) had a yard at one stage in Regents Park/ Villawood where the particular gear involved would have had the bodies fitted to the bare chassis. I can't locate just where on the forum all this had been posted once before, wasn't all that long ago.

The only reason I remember them was seeing them being transported down the old Hume Highway. Still has me beat how they got around Picton though as the photo posted shows one of them being measured under the viaduct at Yerrinbool, so they would have had to go over Razorback as how else could they have got there, Yerrinbool I mean? Wouldn't have been allowed over Douglas Park, nor up the mountains off the Princes Hwy as in McQuarrie Pass or the Nowra-Goulburn road.
It was along time ago, 1967-1968, but even an old phart like me recalls seeing a couple of floats with loads on parked up on the Goulburn by pass, down near the railway line/goods yard. Comment was made as to just how they crossed the Murrumbidgee out the back of Gundagai, a Bailey Bridge was suggested, not outside the realms of possibility, but would have been an awesome job just assembling the bridges. The other thing is, Talbingo, which was the final destination for these loads in question, was the LAST major job in the Snowy. Point I'm trying to make is that the project commenced in 1949/50 and the gear required down there had to have come from somewhere and it just got bigger and bigger (the machinery) as the different contracts were begun. Even some really old photo's show big transformers, turbines etc being transported, a lot of that stuff was bought in from overseas as well, so there would have to have some plans in place to transport whatever it was that was needed. Maybe they had to beef up a lot of river/creek crossings as they went?
A real trial in those heady days whatever way you look at it, especially with the gear they had compared to today's machinery. I find even the transport logistics involved worthy of a topic all it's own.
Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172382 by defective
Pretty sure Rex was part of the PCT crew around the time these shifts were getting done....He might not have been part of the low loader crew but he would have some fair insights into the routes they traveĺled down into the Snowy Scheme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172386 by Dave_64
There you go, Rex. You've just been nominated. Don't know if you have been following this thread, perhaps you may like to give us a bit of an insight (or know someone who may be able to help) into a bit of the route workings covering these topics.

Realise you always seem to be busy, but if you could spare a little time, (or handball it to the kids/grandkids) I'm sure that quite a few others as well as myself would appreciate it. OR, perhaps you may know just where to look for info. I don't mind doing the research through libraries and such, but don't fare as well when it comes to Wikpedia or Google, have all sorts of trouble defining a search, end up chucking a wobbly when I get sent somewhere I don't want to go. Either that or type in what I think is relevant and end up getting ten million "hits", very annoying.

Anyone else who may know of sources of information is also encouraged to contribute. Broadens ALL our knowledge. As an aside, it surprises me just how many people take it as absolute truth, whatever appears on Wikpedia or Google. Whilst they are very good reference locations, they are not the be all and end all of information streams. Which stands to reason I suppose, sites are only as good as the people who contribute to them One of the things I particularly like about this forum, as well as some others, is that if I (or anyone else for that matter), post something that is not quite 100% accurate, other contributors will soon point out any errors, even if the contributor honestly believes them correct.
But, isn't that what forums are all about? Primarily as a meeting place for the exchange of ideas and opinions? I'd like to think so, even if some topics are a bit off centre, or at least a bit out of mainstream.
Cheers, Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172428 by Rob W
Don't forget that some of the large equipment/gear loads came into Cooma via the NSW Railways and then was transported out to the various Snowy Scheme projects by road.

Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,

More
7 years 9 months ago #172433 by allan
Likewise to Cudgewa, for the 'Murray' stations near Khancoban.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds