Skip to main content

Sydney Old Hume Highway Road Run - Haulin The Hume

More
12 years 8 months ago #45087 by knighty
picked up a "owner driver" magazine in gilgandra yesterday, good article on the hume run in it. jk

Lotsa Big Toys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #45088 by Cunning Stunt
Hi Knighty, I got it yesterday too! Tamara is coming up for the event and riding shotgun with Alby in his Detroit powered R190 the whole way............. to get it from a drivers point of view. I think she'll love it

Some play hard to get

More
12 years 8 months ago #45089 by Scummy

As a kid we used to trundle up and down the old hume quiet often in Dads Stramit truck and stop at a road house called Bimbo's....Is that it?....In the early 70's....I cant recall where it was...any one else remember that one?
We also used to catch the Bargo to Picton Bus, a double decker, and the idea was to get upstairs on the right and as it came down the hill and swung under the rail line at Picton all charge over to the left and push the side of the bus....Managed to give the tunnel wall a couple of good whacks before we were barred from upstairs :( Dont know why ;)
DD

Did someone say ,BIMBO'S !

:o

More
12 years 8 months ago #45090 by WSHTC inc
scummy

old carl knows it well 8-) brad

More
12 years 8 months ago #45091 by Bert
So which way are you guys going when you leave uncle leos, as in the first couple of k's? Just trying to figure out where to be to get some photos

More
12 years 8 months ago #45092 by Cunning Stunt
Straight along Camden Valley Way, turning left onto Narellan Road and right onto the Camden By-Pass then following our nose from there :)

Some play hard to get

More
12 years 8 months ago #45093 by Dingodan
Scummy! Well done! Is that what happened to Bimbo's....although I always pictured it on an open hill with acres of parking around it and a wrecking yard nearby...or is that another one altogether? Remember that was 40 years ago......
At least it survided in some semblance, my favorite roadhouse was the Ampol at Burpengary Qld...Real food, real service, real friendly, great place to watch the sunrise from.....Me and Mrs Dingo were going to get married there but they demolished it for one of those "multi-stations" up the road....call THAT progress????
Maybe we need a new topic....favorite roadhouses....
Thanks Scummy

More
12 years 8 months ago #45094 by Scummy
Thats it mate , they moved the road closer to the front door for some reason .

More
12 years 8 months ago #45095 by jimbo51
Dingodan,

There was actually a bit of a debate a while ago as to whether this is Bimbo's or not. Based on a review in Truck & Bus from 1974 this looks like the place.

But some of us have a recollection of a place not dissimilar to what you describe. So the answer may be that there was another roadhouse in the vicinity, name unknown.

More
12 years 8 months ago #45096 by Beaver
Back in the 60s/70s I had a weekender down near Mittagong, and often stopped in at Bimbo's on the way home Sunday nights. Didn't know about the showers in those days (youthful innocence)

I'm pretty sure there was another place on the Sydney side, but can't remember its name; but it was nowhere near as popular (or good). There was a motel there, too.

I think you will find that the road was re-aligned after the freeway was opened, hence the big apron out front has gone.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds