More
7 years 9 months ago #172702 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fill's Bedford
That'll rock yer socks !!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172707 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Fill's Bedford
With carpet, you might actually hear it! :)

I haven't bothered with the ASW. Was going deaf after the last drive back from Toowoomba (@ 90 K's)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 9 months ago #172885 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
I had an altercation with some manufactured truck stands a fair while ago (no one hurt).I picked these up at the metal recycler for fifteen dollars,they will lift the truck about 300 mm off the ground for servicing. They are not quite finished -they will have a soft cradle on top.As I have said in the past, I like to work outside (except for painting), but it is time to take the chassis off the trolley.I am waiting on the brakes to be over-hauled.So the next time it comes out it will be on wheels.As I wait for the brakes I will fit the petrol tank and fuel lines,vacuum tank and lines, and exhaust.
V
[img
100_2799 by fill quinn , on Flickr

More
7 years 9 months ago #172893 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Fill's Bedford
Sorry I wouldn't get under the truck with those.

I'd like a much bigger base and some gussets to stabilise the pipe.

Call me a wimp!

More
7 years 9 months ago #172895 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Fill's Bedford
I figure if it's only a chassis, it should be fine - they weigh stuff all. I spent very little time actually "under" the ASW while I was putting the axles on. I had a quite rickety pair of sawhorses, but they were fine. I always remember "never work under a suspended load". I do get your point, though.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 9 months ago #172905 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Fill's Bedford

Zuffen wrote: Sorry I wouldn't get under the truck with those.

I'd like a much bigger base and some gussets to stabilise the pipe.

Call me a wimp!

Not a whimp. Just common sense. I wouldn't put a billycart on them. You only get one life. Safety 1st, 2nd,3rd and whatever comes after that.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173025 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Zuffen
Thanks I welcome constructive criticism,I went down to Super Chep Auto and did some measuring,there was a
SCA brand the base was 200 mm by 200 mm 4 mm thick,it had a 35 mm by 35 mm post 3 mm thick wall no gussets.The base was a pressed plate lifting the up about 25 mm and having another plate about 75 mm by 75 mm welded to the post under neath.This was rated at 1200 kg max height 420 mm.
The next one was a King Chrome 3000 kg,the base was 200 mm by 230 mm with a pyramid base max height 520 mm.
Mine,the steel base is 200 mm by 230 mm,10 mm thick,the timber is 360 mm long bolted on with 12 mm coach bolts,the post is 75 mm with 4 mm walls total height 560 mm.the total weight of my truck is under 3500 kg.
I believe you are right about the gussets,I made them out of 50 mm by 8 mm. Thanks again
Cheers Fill
[img
100_2803 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_2804 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_2805 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Maxidyne

More
7 years 8 months ago #173027 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
only flaw in your plan I see is that with it been flat on the bottom if the surface it sits on has a rock or something it will become unstable
Maybe put something under each corner so it sits up a bit off the floor

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 8 months ago #173028 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Fill's Bedford
I've had too many close shaves working on/with cars that I now have a lot of respect for what they can do to you.

3 months flat on my back last year from a misjudgement has really cemented this in my mind. So did the Doctor telling me I shouldn't have survived my stupidity!

I was asked to bleed the AYC system on my son's Evo VIII Mitsubishi and it has to run at 20kmh to do it on 4 jackstands. I told him I'll pay to have it done by a workshop as I don't trust any jackstand when 300hp is whizzing around above my head.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173031 by Maxidyne
Replied by Maxidyne on topic Fill's Bedford
I agree with the bigger base suggestion, but you're definitely on the right track with the mods so far. Well done!

Time to create page: 0.683 seconds