Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
7 years 2 months ago #179302 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all,
Today I took off all the the brake cylinders including the master washed down brakes shoes with metho.
To get the back brake drums off you have to break the seal of the axles and take them out. The drums come off with the bearings (not like a car). I put the break drums in garbage bags to keep the dust off them so I did not have to re grease the bearings. I took all the cylinders to the service man he is going to go over every thing. It was a big step backwoods, it took a while to get my head around it to start. I had a lot of work leading up to Christmas so I was just putting it off.
Cheers Fill
[img
100_2876 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_2874 by fill quinn , on Flickr

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 2 months ago #179304 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill
Gudday M8
noice ch@ n @ U n the better 1/2 @ Longwarry

Ifn U got oil/grease/brake fluid all over u're new brakes
This is how we get rid of the mess ovr the brake linings /pads
Me dun think this iz recommended but duz the job
Leave the brakes shoes mounted on the beast
dryclean with a brush with petrol on it = dun submerge in petrol
rub with cloth to remove most of the oil etc
then brush with petrol again (go hide the tin of petrol as the Mrs wont like a disaster (unless u're insurance iz fully paid up))
wipe ovr brake linings with a bit of warm ...... az in oxy accelene to burn out the oil etc
this unappropriated message of deal n with the project will self destruct with no evidense in 10 .. 9 ... 8...7 etc

:lol:

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 2 months ago #179310 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Fill's Bedford
That's certainly an old and proven method Swishy. Its worked for me many times back when money was scarce

More
7 years 2 months ago #179314 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Hey Swish man I wonder would it melt the glue that bonds the shoes no problems on a riveted set though

On bonded shoes I use that Brakeleen I think CRC call it but any brake clean stuff works fine
I always get it as clean as I can with petrol first though and then the Brakeleen and I reckon you can see the oil coming out of the shoes

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 months ago #179316 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Fill's Bedford
Looking great Phil, I thought I saw her out in the sun!

Mrs Mack, I dont think the oxy would get anywhere the heat into the lining a run down a decent hill with a load would then trying to pull up at the bottom :unsure:

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
7 years 2 months ago #179319 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Fill's Bedford
That's a good cheap method but if you put to much heat into the brake lining they may go hard and crack, do your self a favour and get the shoes rebonded and the drums skimmed to suit, if your dead you can't enjoy our marvellous hobby

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
7 years 2 months ago #179331 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Fill's Bedford
Hot soapy water for brake fluid (it's hydroscopic) and degreaser and HP wash for oil and grease. HTH :)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179332 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Fill, the old girl's looking very good. Bummer with the backwards step on the brakes, but better now than when you're driving it around. On the gasket I would'nt use any sealant of any description other than dampening the surface with a bit of brake fluid & then fitting it up. Grease will react with brake fluid as will a lot of sealants. Try mixing a little bit of engine oil with a bit of brake fluid in a glass jar & watch the reaction, goes like jelly & is a pain in the butt to clean out of the brake system. These days for cleaning brake shoes I use "Brakeclean" because it dose'nt leave any residue on the shoes. All the best mate, Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
7 years 2 months ago #179378 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Fill's Bedford
That's a sweet looking resto Fill. Bit of bad luck with the brakes, but you'll soon put that behind you. :)
As you well know, sometimes you just have to walk away & do something else for a while.
Fill, I'm interested in the tool(s) & methods you used to remove the rear hub. I know these are different to a "K" model but still interested.
Great work & an inspiration to us all.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 1 month ago #180200 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi Guys
I am still waiting to get my brakes back it has been five weeks. I have decided that the truck chassis is ok outside under the car port with a drop sheet over it I have decided to work on the tray, Three years ago I started on the tray I cut three ft off the length I cut three inches off each side put new sides on it, set it up for rope rails, and primed it. Then put it into storage. I have got it out of storage and going to work on the timber

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds