Skip to main content

1949 Fargo Truck Restoration Update

More
11 years 8 months ago #50058 by Southbound
Fantastic job Max. It has been a pleasure watching your progess. Thanks for saving, restoring, photographing and finishing this truck. Your skills show in the finished product. Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #50059 by AERODYNE
Top job Max and it was great talking to you at Dubbo about the Fargo Chappo

More
11 years 8 months ago #50060 by Tacho
Likewise Max, I would like to add my congratulations on a top resto job.
I was outside the shed talking to a bloke who wanted a Dodge cab over, then my Dubbo based sister came along with a coffee. All the time I could see this very sparkling white truck about mid shed, and pretty soon worked out is was your little gem.
You have good reason to be proud of your truck.
Cheers Geoff

More
11 years 8 months ago #50061 by steveb
Firstly,congratulations on a great restoration.I have watched this thread from day one .The kew series Fargo was the first truck I started out with back in 1960.My late father bought it new in 1948 or 9 from Douglas Body Motors in Wagga.As is always the case one has a sentimental interest and affinity where one first started out in the transport industry.Just a question,how did you get the front bumperbar so accurate,after 1950 I never saw a straight one? Well done steveb

More
11 years 8 months ago #50062 by Dodge fan
Bloody nice old truck Max, a real credit to you.
I hope i get to see it in the flesh :)
Regards Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
11 years 8 months ago #50063 by Dodge fan

Got the same problem with my Dodge, but you dont want to get anything that could limit the operation of the pedals. I am thinking of attaching some rubber around the pedal under the floor boards where it cant be seen, Would close off the gap apart when the pedal is pressed down.

Has anyone considered car cv boots? there are many different sizes available and I'm sure there would be some that would fit?
Regards Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
11 years 8 months ago #50064 by slantie
Max- Super job mate! Your brilliant attention to detail, hardwork looks like it has certainly paid off. A true inspiration to others to achieve a high standard! Well done! I hope to see it in the flesh one day!

I would just also like to say thankyou on behalf of all us MoPar fans that you picked a truck that would certainly be overlooked by others in that people believe because it's a Chrysler product (and British based) it is too hard to get parts. I glad that you have shown that these vehicles are worthy of restoration! Thanks Max and enjoy your Fargo! :)

MoPar - And don't you forget it! 8-)

More
11 years 6 months ago #50065 by MMKNJL
Hi all. This might be of interest to those with an old Kew Dodge 6 cylinder. Being notorious for fuel locking in the heat, I fitted a 4 psi in-line electric fuel pump just after the tank to feed the mechanical pump where most fuel/vapour lock I believe occurs. Been out a few times now in mid to high 30 degree heat without a problem.

This is a bit off topic, but the worst part about driving the old FARGO is when your cruising along say Old Northern Road at its best cruising speed of 32-34 mph, the absolute idiotic, stupid and just plain #%&* DANGEROUS things some people do to pass you, almost takes the shine off driving it.

Max

More
11 years 6 months ago #50066 by atkipete
I also had troubles with vapour lock in my 52 Dodge. Apparently the Chrysler flathead is prone to it and modern petrol has some ethanol which makes the problem worse. In my case I just got rid of the mechanical pump altogether and ran a new fuel line up the LH side of motor and across to carby. All good so far.

More
11 years 6 months ago #50067 by AERODYNE
Max had the same thing happen to me on the same road, i was doing 40 mph and soon as they came up to my old 69 cabover they had to get around me ,they nearly hit four cars with that stunt Chappo

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds