More
11 years 2 months ago #50078 by Andy Wright
Just beautiful.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #50079 by modela2010
Hi Max,

Glad I caught up with you at the Golden Oldies Truck Show. Your truck looked great!! Sorry to hear about the "rust" problem. Take care mate and look forward to the days you can get out and go for a drive. All the best. Jon

More
11 years 2 months ago #50080 by MMKNJL
Gentlemen, on the weekend I got into a conversation about the difference between a DODGE a FARGO and a DESOTO.

My response was they were all made by what was then DODGE BROS companies, but the Fargo was made in England the Desoto made in Canada and the Dodge was of course made in the USA?

This is how it happened, isn't it?

Max .

Max

More
11 years 2 months ago #50081 by atkipete
No I think they were just brand names. The Canadian Pilothouse Dodge that I have came out with all 3 badges.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #50082 by Hardtopman
Chrysler bought Dodge bros in about 1928, who at that time sold drivelines to Graham bros to use in there trucks.
Chrysler took on the whole lot. Fargo's and Desoto's were sold in other parts of the world other than America, Fargo's through Plymouth dealers and Desoto's through Desoto dealers and of coarse Dodges through Dodge dealers. Chrysler Australia dropped all other names in 57 and just used Dodge on the trucks and Chrysler on the cars. However being Chrysler nothing was set in stone and Dodge was also used on cars (Phoenix and the pov pak Valiant utes) Fargo and Desoto name's were used a lot longer else where like Canada, south America and the middle east. Big Dodge trucks were made up till the late 90's in south america, Dodge ram cabs on proper truck chassis. When Merc took over it shut them down and replaced them with mercs and freightliners
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Hardtopman.

More
11 years 2 months ago #50083 by mammoth
The Kew Dodge was made in as suburb of Lonon called Kew, before Chrysler moved their factory to Dunstable. The cab was made from pressings by another London company called Briggs. Both Leyland (Comet) and Ford (ET6) also used these pressings, with variation in detail. When Ford bought the Briggs company it put an end to Briggs supplying competing manufacturers. I belive the Kew versions had different motors to the Canadian built ones and both came to Australia, under different badges. Similar situation to Austin Morris & BMC maintaining different badging with one product.

More
11 years 1 day ago #50084 by MMKNJL
HI ALL. Who's got a good memory?
Had a problem with the fargo leaking oil out of the rear main seal, got a seal and wasn't happy with a mark on thrust part of bearing, so got a new one from a chap at Baulkham Hills who had an unbelievable amount of old dodge parts.
Here's the memory bit - I bought an Australian made KOALA brand bearing, I've never seen or heard of the brand. I am sure it was dated 1952. Any one ever heard of them?

Cheers, Max

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Max

More
11 years 1 day ago - 11 years 1 day ago #50085 by Desotodav
I haven't heard of Koala bearings Max, but then I'm only a young whipper-snapper! I'm glad that you chatted with Les Sonter - he's a top fella with a shed full of NOS Dodge parts. I was chatting with him a few weeks back as I am working on the rear main seal area for my 52 truck at present - it looks just like yours pictured. I bought my Felpro rear main seal from John in Adelaide (Antique Motor Spares) as Les recommended him to me. I also picked up my sump gasket set from him. I too found that I had scuff marks on my bearings after travelling only 1500 miles since the engine rebuild - I've done 3 oil changes with new Penrite oil in that time. It might pay to check the gap on your rear bearing cap with some Plastigage - I did that with mine and found a 5 thou gap when factory specs suggest 1 and 1/2 -3 thou. I now have the crank out being machined and I will have the correct bearings installed this time! Don't forget to install the little rubber 'h' rubber parts of the gasket set in that bearing cap. I hope that both of us end up with no oil leaks after this fiddly job!
Last edit: 11 years 1 day ago by Desotodav.

More
10 years 11 months ago #50086 by MMKNJL
Dave, I appear to have had a win with the rear main leak. I think the problem was more the h rubbers than the actual seal.

By the way, have a look at what I bought my wife for her [not allowed to disclose age] birthday.

Cheers, Max

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Max

More
10 years 11 months ago #50087 by Bugly
That's very schmick! ;) ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds