Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #158356 by defective
...here's a little reminder of the advances in road transport over the last 60 years...1955 Commer TS3 105 HP ....2010 Volvo FH 520 HP full repaint, and ready for delivery this morning

goo.gl/photos/4UvwGzQmhCwq3S4U9

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #158357 by overnite
Which one has had the respray? :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D (just stirring). They both look good in their own right. I know which one would grab the most looks, ( especially at full noise )

More
8 years 9 months ago #158358 by Dave_64
................I'll have the TS3 !
More character!

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #158359 by defective
...now for the million dollar question ????..........

....could the pic of the Commer sitting next to the Volvo somehow make this pair "half brothers" and related ?? ...

...takeovers, mergers, joint ventures, blah, blah, blah, from right back in the day says to me that it wouldn't be a surprise ::) ::) :-?
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 9 months ago #158360 by overnite
Maybe.......if their parents were Tasmanian. ;) ;) ;) ;)

More
8 years 8 months ago #158361 by oldpart
hi guys
I have never written in before but love all the great pics and the stories of old ( and present ) but talking about Commer Knockers (you guys probably all know him )
Well I went to old engine rally at Lake Goldsmith a few years ago and there was a guy there with his knocker motor with cut-a-way sections on display, it was driven with an electric motor and it certainly created a lot of interest.I think he was from Mt Gambier .
I,m sure some of you have run in to him over the years.
cheers ron

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #158362 by defective
g'day fellas .. i've recently crawled over a few of the these old bangers and noticed on one of 'em with the cable 2 speed on the gearstick, and an air chamber linked to the LH side of the diff ?....a mechanical 2 speed instead of electric ??....

late edit .. jeffo has just advised me they were mostly seen on the old petrols, and were a vacuum chamber actuating the two speed 8-) 8-)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 8 months ago #158363 by werkhorse

Maybe.......if their parents were Tasmanian. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oi !!!!

As Swishy would say ...

... I resemble that !!!!!!!

LOL

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 8 months ago #158364 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
The 5-80N Leyland that I had was fitted with the 6-98 diesel and also had a vacuum operated 2 speed. It worked ok until it got a bit of wear in the alloy valve that switched it between low and high, then it became a problem changing.

More
8 years 8 months ago #158365 by defective

hi guys
I have never written in before but love all the great pics and the stories of old ( and present ) but talking about Commer Knockers (you guys probably all know him )
Well I went to old engine rally at Lake Goldsmith a few years ago and there was a guy there with his knocker motor with cut-a-way sections on display, it was driven with an electric motor and it certainly created a lot of interest.I think he was from Mt Gambier .
I,m sure some of you have run in to him over the years.
cheers ron

.....excuse me for being tardy, and should've said this with my last post, so welcome to the forum oldpart...tell us a few of your tales from back in the day...i'm finding that those early snub nosed Commers are a fascinating bit of old gear....Cheers mate :) :)

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds