Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164965 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Commers with Knockers...
Hi 'Seed .. I counted about 96 bags @ 180 lb per bag...??...is that about right ?

...just got the calculator out...Thanks and Cheers
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164966 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Commers with Knockers...
Defective, is this the truck with the sleeper, at an earlier stage in its life?

More
8 years 4 months ago #164969 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Commers with Knockers...
Defective here is what Sarge is calling a pickler but I would call it a seed grader, that would be a district thing

[img size=50%] www.flickr.com/photos/94854784@N06/12263.../faves-76951135@N07/ [/img]

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164986 by defective
...thanks Sarge and Mairjimmy .. I buggered up on the 23 tons bit (added the three bushels to the bag twice LOL !) and now I know what a Pickler does...

...G'day overnite .. that old sleeper cab is probably out there somewhere still carving it out on interstate :woohoo: :woohoo: !!! ..... She's not the one I own, but the one on the Ronhorse image link a couple of posts back looks suspiciously like the one that was up in Boort in the mid 1960's......
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164987 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Commers with Knockers...
Defective how wide do you think the trailer is, 7ft 6+or 8ft 2 , I would think if its 8ft 2 the bags could be 5 wide , 24 bags along the side I would think the length would be 28 ft long
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
8 years 4 months ago #164988 by defective
...I reckon She'd be a skinny old bugger Mairjimmy .. it seems the trailer doesn't even have blinkers or stop/tail lights across the rear...??

More
8 years 4 months ago #165007 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Commers with Knockers...
Hi all- If the bags were sewn up properly, they would have been stacked flat because you get a lot more on. Up to the middle 1950's a lot of farmers put a clip or pin through the top of the bags so that they could be pulled out quickly and tipped into the bulk hopper at the grain depot, then they went back and refilled the same bags in the paddock. If it was an 8 foot trailer you could normally get 6 bags across which would give you about 15 tons. When they brought bulk receivals in they banned this practice, then the gates and curtains appeared on the flat top trailers, with anything up to 20 trapdoors in the floor. Cheers - Kav

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds