Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #163586 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Commers with Knockers...
...I've wondered for a long time why those early 1960's Mk IV models never really "grabbed" me. What was it about 'em that bothered me?. A bit of internet research has come a long way in addressing the issue whereby when these things were first new , the big, wide tin grille had black painted strips running right across to match the radiator slats. Fast forward 50 odd years and 99% of every one of 'em right through the UK, NZ or Aus has had the whole grille finished in one splash of colour or silver frost, chromebright etc. without the black strips being re-instated.......uuurrgh!!

...Unless there was an update that introduced the strips (or vice-versa?), or the diesels got 'em and the petrols didn't , it appears that John Gramlick's red and white one is the only one sporting its "correct" look, and it improves the frontal appearance by a fair margin I reckon

....me being hopeless, could someone could post a pic comparing the difference ??....cheers
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #163591 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Commers with Knockers...
Defective is this what you are talking about

This been a 1959 model, a now and then shot of the same truck.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Mairjimmy. Reason: to add the last 9 words

More
8 years 5 months ago #163593 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Commers with Knockers...
Out of the closet there Phil :lol: :lol:

More
8 years 5 months ago #163596 by defective
...that's it Mairjimmy .. the bottom pic shows the black strips in the grille whereas the recent resto in the museum has it just plain silver....???

More
8 years 5 months ago #163899 by defective
...Commers, like Volvos were the truck for their time...any (10,000 th) comments Swish ? ;) ;) :P :P

More
8 years 5 months ago #163915 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Commers with Knockers...
Hi Defective and all - You have to remember that most of the Export Commers were sent out here only with Undercoat on them. The country dealers had to arrange for them to be painted locally, so this gave such a big variation in the Paint Job.The first CX I had was almost five years old and was never painted until just before I got it. It only had the Grey undercoat on it until then. Back then you could get a basic primer/undercoat plus a double coat Enamel for about fifteen quid, so you didn't expect too much delicate hand work. Cheers - Kav

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #163925 by defective
...you're right about the undercoating Kav. This particular Mk IV cab had been assembled over the undercoat then shipped complete...even the grille had been fitted over the primed surface and having recently been removed, still shows the tan coloured primer underneath...

....Reading the excellent NZ Commer website tells of how very few of any model was actually painted at the UK factory, even though there were booth facilities for any special orders....

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #164150 by defective
...G'day all .. Had a very pleasant visit today from Dawn Adams, who's husband Michael had fond memories of an old 1948 R741 model I've recently purchased. She presented me with the only photo they have in their possession, taken in around 1964 loaded up with a pretty good sized 'dozer on the tray (no wonder the front springs are sagged!).

...I managed to track the family down simply by asking directory assistance the name (underneath another name) on the weatherbeaten RH door...a few calls later and I was talking to the family who'd had her from the mid/late 1950's up till around 1967 when they traded her on a brand new XR Falcon ute purchased from MacKenzie Ford in Healesville (?)....they knew nothing of her existence for the next 48 years until a phone call out of the blue a few weeks ago. Michael, now around 60 explained how his father George had bought the truck from E Murphy and Sons in Yarraville, and that he was most upset as a 12-13 year old when Dad got rid of it.

...ol' mate and I are going to get her to the point where there will be spark and fuel, and turning over...at that point Michael can come down, sit in the seat and start cranking for its first start up in many years...I'm sure the occasion will be a bit emotional ......

More
8 years 5 months ago #164152 by geoffb

More
8 years 5 months ago #164210 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Commers with Knockers...
I dunno what I did wrong but I didnt even get a glimpse of that Photo Defective???? :blink: :sick: :dry:

Sarg :woohoo: e

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds