Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
8 years 8 months ago #158376 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Phil
With knocker and the Gm you will be able to play a duet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #158377 by mammoth
Does the QX have a knocker? I thought they were petrol until a bit later.
Remember that battery is +ve earth :-?
The Gatton show has a dwindling following as a result of going down the show'n shine road and it will be a challenge for the organisers to re-establish it as a premier vintage event which is how it started.
So what is the problem with bringing a yankee rig back to ex factory condition ie small donk, little chrome, painted steel tanks, and paint not glass shiny.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mammoth.

More
8 years 8 months ago #158378 by defective
Hi mammoth .. i just put her up here for the sake of continuity about these style of Commers. The 1948 model is a petrol, and we only got the knockers out here around 1954.

...Chrome and bling is a personal taste, but the influence from the yanks is very concerning to me. We had out here but a mere fraction of the smorgasboard of models and makes that the Yanks had/have, and to see one of our early, rare (to us) trucks of any description vandalised with all of this tinsel and glitter breaks my heart....

More
8 years 8 months ago #158379 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
I have to agree with Defective here. I much rather see old trucks looking as they did in the day, with pinstriping and a name across the front of the bonnet. To me and my father this is what brings back the memories, more so than something that looks like it has crashed into a Supercheap store. My opinion only!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #158380 by defective
G'day fellas .. I carefully went through the ancient signwriting on the drivers door of the 1948 petrol, and found that very early on she belonged to a "cartage contractor" from Flemington (Vic)....

...It appears (so and so) "and Sons" originally had this old girl, and was probably put to work new in a lovely cream livery with nicely shaded signwriting. Would anyone know any Melbourne bloke who may've been a pretty fair sized operation from about that 1949 onwards era ??
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #158381 by defective
G'day all .. I knew the 1948 petrol was early, but after today I'm a bit amazed at just how early this one is....

...I was a bit sceptical about the 1947 glass...how could that be ?...so yesterday spent a bit of "google" time checking on just what may have date codes on the various ancillaries or items. The horn is original and has a date code, as well as the electrical fuse and control boxes so they were checked with amazing results. The horn is a Lucas "Altette" model HF1235 with the date code of 2 48. The fuse boxes have the Lucas model number 385175...both boxes having the date code 1 48 after the part number. The 5-7 ton QX "R" models were only introduced at the end of February 1948, so she's right there in amongst the earliest ones produced. The chassis number tells of being the 585th R741 off the line (that particular model started at 22A 5000) so quite a few must've been built in the latter part of 1947 or very early in 1948 to be in readiness for the introduction....very interesting stuff. Cheers
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 7 months ago #158382 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Great stuff defective... keep it coming....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 7 months ago #158383 by LN700
Replied by LN700 on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Hi defective,

Some great photos and info on Commer's in this book.

Got mine from the Queensland Transport Museum Gatton.

LN700

More
8 years 7 months ago #158384 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Phil
Better see what base colour is under yours

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 7 months ago #158385 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Infective tiz a little lost

wiff no rivits to count

LOL ;D

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds