Skip to main content

Hcvc Google search

More
8 years 7 months ago #163240 by fjwb
Hcvc Google search was created by fjwb
I'm trying to search the site for some archived info using Google. The info pops up on the search result but when I click it it only takes me to the home page. Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #163245 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Hcvc Google search
Hi,

It is covered in this post from last week, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/new-forum-q-s-a-s/...ines-and-other-sites

Terry

More
8 years 7 months ago #163257 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Hcvc Google search
Until Google has indexed the new Forum the easiest way to find something that has come up in a Google search is to look at the information in the search result and then use that in the Forum Search Tab to find it on the Forum. For example below is one of the search results when I searched for "DLine Inter" in Google. I can tell from the first line that what I'm looking for is in a forum topic called "INTER AA- AB- C & D LINE PARTS..." (dots at the end tell you the topic name was longer than that but no all displayed). So I entered "INTER AA- AB- C & D LINE PARTS" in the Keywords on the Forum Search page and changed the "Find Posts from" setting to "Any Date" (as it defaults to a year ago) and changed "Search Categories" to "Trucks for Sale and Wanted" (The second line below tells me that topic I want is in Trucks for Sale and Wanted). It a bit of a pain, but it is still worth using Google, as my example search didn't find this post just putting "DLine inter" into the Forum Search tab (it gave me 60 other possibilities though), but came up at about number 10 in the Google search.

HCVC Vintage Truck Forum - INTER AA- AB- C & D LINE PARTS ...
www.hcvc.com.au › ... › Truck Talk › Trucks for Sale and Wanted
Mar 17, 2012 - 1 post - ‎1 author
Whilst out & about chasing spare parts, I have found a guy who has a supply of v8 engines, six cyl engines, gearboxes, diffs, chassis parts, ...

Dennis

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #163268 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Hcvc Google search
Hi 'Scout .. the problem is, when you google a certain truck interest and press images, the pic may take you to the HCVC forum. From there you get stone walled with the home page...

...Since the new format has come in I've found this situation to be very frustrating.... ??
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 7 months ago #163299 by defective
....after reading the explanations again, it's all good fellas and apologies for being so bloody thick! lol

More
8 years 7 months ago #163301 by Gryphon
Hi,

I noticed the other night that Google wasn't indexing the new site but I fixed that problem and can see today it has been busy looking at pages so hopefully now you will see more of the new links and images and less of the old ones.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
8 years 7 months ago #163607 by defective
...Hi Grypho .. How are we going with retrieving the old HCVC info via Google search ol' mate?...there is a ton of stuff that was very easy to access using the Google search engine up until the new forum came along ... :) :) :)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #163621 by Gryphon
Defective,

I did write answer to your question, now deleted, last night but then spent a few hours looking at what Google was really doing with the new Forum and can see it is not indexing things as well as I thought so I am looking into how to improve things.

Terry
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Gryphon.

More
8 years 7 months ago #163663 by defective
...thanks mate for your effort and attention.. ..I find m'self googling quite heavily on a truck related subject that more often than not leads me back to the "old" forum, then find there is no further info because of the new format...

...no complaints at all.... just would love to have that ease of accessibility that the old forum provided re-instated...cheers to all :)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #163670 by Gryphon
Hi,

I have solved some of the issues by writing some code that will convert links to the old Forum to redirect them to the correct post on the new forum. This means that the links you see in Google Searches with ?num=1234567890/12 will try and find the matching post here.

There are a links that I have seen that do not find its matching posts and that is due to some issue with the rounding of time during the conversion. If you copy the link into Broswer address bar and subtract 1 from the last digit that appears before the '/' then you will likely find what you are looking for. e.g. Change ?num=123456789/12 to ?num=123456788/12. Hopefully over time Google will find the new versions and not need the older links.

I will see how Google handles the above over the next few days and see if the other issue in Google is resolved or not.

Terry
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Gryphon.

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds