Skip to main content

Seized engine

More
9 years 2 months ago #155875 by HeyCharger
Seized engine was created by HeyCharger
Ok, here's the problem. The Chrysler 6cyl flathead in my Clarktor is seized. I've removed the sparkplugs and put kero/diesel in the cylinders.
Cannot budge it and as I believe it has a fluid coupling, towing seems to be out of the question.
Ideas, please? Thanks.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155876 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Seized engine
Here is the fluid coupling story

www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html

As for the seized engine, I think you should leave it for a few days brewing. If that does not work there is nothing for it but to remove the head and gently whack each piston with a block of wood.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155877 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Seized engine
Great. Found this embedded in there;
"You can push start a Fluid Drive vehicle using 2nd gear in the three and four speeds and 2nd gear low range in the wait and clunk, starting with the clutch depressed at about 15 mph ease the clutch out. If you start with the clutch out you need to reach 20-25 mph before the oil in the fluid drive has enough oomph to spin the engine."

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155878 by mackme
Replied by mackme on topic Re: Seized engine
Hi I have unseized several engines by putting diesel down the bores and letting sit for a few weeks and then removing the starter and levering on the ring gear with a suitable bar if you have room but it can take a while. However it depends on why it's seized to begin with. If it has grabbed a piston you may have no luck but if it has seized because of sitting you might be right.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155879 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Seized engine
I have taken the starter out but am hesitant to lever the ring gear. I've seen a few of them chipped so maybe the metal is not that strong. having said that, I may try a little pressure.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #155880 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Seized engine

As for the seized engine, I think you should leave it for a few days brewing .

I'd second this, Patience will be your greatest asset in jobs like this..

I'd even leave it soaking a week or 2..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by hayseed.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155881 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Seized engine
Have heard of making up Adapters for grease nipple , , pumping with a high pressure grease gun .

More
9 years 2 months ago #155882 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: Seized engine
I have two spare engines if you can bear the pain of picking them up from WA

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
9 years 2 months ago #155883 by 56 AS 130
Replied by 56 AS 130 on topic Re: Seized engine
A couple of old fellas I know swear by brown vinegar
Has to be brown. Put it in the pots over night and it should be free by morning. Use the ring gear to lever it.

More
9 years 2 months ago #155884 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Seized engine

Have heard of making up Adapters for grease nipple , , pumping with a high pressure grease gun .

This can work but should be used as a last resort because you could crack a piston crown, especially on aluminium pistons. Some hand operated grease guns can develop pressures up to 10 000psi.

A couple of old fellas I know swear by brown vinegar
Has to be brown. Put it in the pots over night and it should be free by morning. Use the ring gear to lever it.

And be cautious with anything acidic as it can strip any metallic surface coatings on pistons, rings and valves.

I've had luck with WD40 liquid, ATF and diesel. Just get it boiling before pouring it in. And another trick to try is weld up a fitting that screws into the spark plug hole and hook it up to a compressor- that way you have 100psi pushing the WD40 down the bore into all the nooks and crannies...

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds