Skip to main content

Sound Proofing and Vibration Dampening

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159150 by Bobsboy
Hi,

My wagon has as much vibration and drumming in it as a Bass Strait Ferry.

Vibration I imagine, is mostly finding the offending structure and bracing and bashing it into a new frequency. Any other thoughts?

Drumming and humming I guess would be solved with a 'product' i.e. matting or stick-on type stuff.

Any of you have experience with some thing that worked for you?
What's it called and where did you get it (at the best price)?

Thanks in advance,

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Bobsboy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago #159151 by Swishy
Bobz Buoy
M80

easy fix

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBFcvLkG-E0fRL1s4hRRJZS9crGZwCFGH3L6Oi7n8ZBxlqlhpo

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmIdCLhwym2SqtPzLg4p5j54w6JSEC8DjeOOPUllp1uKcWpSpb

n turn it up Hi

LOL

;)

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159152 by Mrsmackpaul
Vibration is usually something wrong out of balance ect tail shaft unis bent tail shaft crook wheel bearing once you start looking you might wish you hadnt LOL

Paul

hang on whats this wagon anyway have I missed something ???

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159153 by cymro
Look up Pyrotek sorberfoam v on google.Ive used something like this on the firewall inside the cab on the Thorny.They covered the roof and walls of the pushback tugs at work.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159154 by RossH
I bought soundproofing from Rare Spares and fitted it to the firewall and back of the cab. Economical and really easy to work with.

8 years 11 months ago #159155 by
Sound Proofing. I was having some sheet metal work done for my patio and I saw some aluminium backed fairly solid but pliable foam that is sticky once you remove the protective paper. It's about 12mm thick.
I asked if they had any off cuts and they gave me enough to do my Truck.
Don't know what it's called but any Aircon Duct manufacture/sheet metal worker would have some.
Daz

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159156 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Thanks guys,
you've given me food for thought and a next direction to explore.

Mr Swishy,
I tried the bottle trick but after breaking two bottles, I drank the remainder and only managed to blur my vision.
Not the solution I was looking for.
The previous owner put in a good radio (I think it even has a CD player) but it's only a partial and temporary work around.

Msmackpaul, you may be on to something there, while it was on the second yard (for consignment sale) it was mentioned in passing that the 'silent shafts' (engine balancers) may not have been correctly reinstalled when the timing belts were done, before I purchased it.

That licenced mechanic/ dealer, whom I still use and trust, sort of poo poohed that idea.
But, before I spend money and effort with 'product' & more metal bashing (after the cuts heal),
I will explore that angle in greater detail with a discrete second opinion.

Ta again,

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159157 by mammoth
UES International is a one stop shop for fitting out truck and bus bodies and have different versions of what you might be looking for. They have an on line catalogue and an outlet in Adelaide.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159158 by podge66
Try dynomat siler paper with bitumen on the back , l use it in the truck restorations and the hot rod boys use it to cuts noise and heat ;) podge 66

More
8 years 11 months ago #159159 by tim
Bobsboy, I,d check out the vibration, out of balance side of it first, because that could be the source of your noise issue as well. If something is out of balance it will create noise as well as vibration. Cheers Tim. ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds