Skip to main content

Rail conversions

More
9 years 10 months ago #143705 by Roderick Smith
I try to batch my photos by theme. I was asked for this Moke photo. I have modern hirail in the modern truck thread, but this photo is over 35 years old, and there are other early inspection and works vehicles which were conversions of road vehicles. The older ones were permanent conversions; the Moke conversion could be undone. The modern ones use lowering rail guide wheels, but the support wheels are the normal road ones, and the vehicles can be driven from site to site.

The Moke had a wheel spacing just right for 1067 mm gauge track, used in Qld, Tas. & WA, and was a popular conversion for gang/inspection work. In this photo, it is the fire-safety patrol vehicle during a week of running steam trains to mark the centenary of railways in Tasmania. The event was in mid February.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

710214Su, probably Conara Jn (Tas.). Moke on rails.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143706 by Roderick Smith
I saw several of these on my first Myanmar visit, when it was still fairly much a closed country; tourist visas were restricted to 7 days. Independent travel was allowed, but there were restrictions on territory (mainly for lack of infrastructure, not for political reasons). On my second visit a visa was either 14 days or a month, and there were fewer restrictions on travel (and less crowding). The track gauge is 1000 mm, so I guess that this is a permanent conversion, using railway wheels, and not truck wheels with guides.

What make would the truck be? I don't recall seeing anything UK or Soviet in that era. Equipment seemed to be mainly European and/or Chinese.

Roderick B Smith

870926Sa Toongou (Myanmar). Homebuilt railmotor, made from a truck. R Smith

More
9 years 10 months ago #143707 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Rail conversions
Looks like either an early Hino or Isuzu .... Probably straight from Japan

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143708 by
Replied by on topic Re: Rail conversions
...that early looking Hino appears to be a dedicated rail job going by the front guard and pintle hook....

...would it be a case of necessity being the mother of invention?....

More
9 years 10 months ago #143709 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Rail conversions
Gees if I get the moke out wouldn't need a Myki card ;D ;D

More
9 years 10 months ago #143710 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Rail conversions
Yes, it was necessity. I have now checked my second holiday, but am finding only half the photos. The posted photo seems to be the only one of the type which I have.
Thanks for the Ford V8 paybus offer: I do have some of my own, when it was displayed on the concourse of Sydney Central station as part of a display on the paybus era. A lot of early railmotors were based on automotive technology and components, but were genuine railway designs, not simply road vehicles on rails. In most states drivers were dual qualified: locos and railmotors. Victoria had a category for railmotor only, and recruited from the WWI servicemen who had gained vehicle experience as part of their service. The vehicles were often on lonely routes, and the driver had to be his own mechanic to overcome any problems which occurred enroute. Driving the Moke (but with a Moki card) reminds me of the first Phillip Island international motorbike grand prix. I was at Stony Point watching the passengers arrived by extra trains, and change to extra ferries. One car drove up, went down the boat ramp, and kept going: it was amphibious (but not a 1960s VW Beetle).
Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143711 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Rail conversions
Toongou (Myanmar), AFAIK somewhere between Rangoon (now Yingon) and Mandalay. A homebuilt railmotor with trailers, for local travel, converted from a Hino TH truck, made over 1950-68. Sat.26.9.87. (Roderick Smith)

I went via a Japanese group, and got a response which seems to be a winner:
...it's a Hino TH-series. Here's one in Myanmar
< upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/t...8569276764%29.jpg> ;

See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hino_TH-series

I don't have quantities or conversion era from the railway side, and probably won't get the information.

Roderick B Smith
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 5 months ago #143712 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Rail conversions

I saw and went for a ride in this interesting rail conversion at the Pukemiro Bush Railway near Auckland last weekend. A White chassis, now fitted with a Holden 179 engine and a Toyota 5-speed gearbox. The steering wheel applies the brakes, which are wooden blocks working on the front 4 wheels. If you look carefully you can see AtkiPete climbing into the back in the front photo.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/WHITE1_zps6bd492b8.jpg~original

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/WHITE2_zps1e05c4a0.jpg~original

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/WHITE3_zps1aba027d.jpg~original

More
9 years 5 months ago #143713 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Re: Rail conversions
Good one, VicHung,
Pukemiro is now on my list of "must sees" next time I go to Aotearoa, land of the long white cloud.
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #143714 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Rail conversions
Hi,

Sulphide Street Railway & Historical Museum,
Broken Hill

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Bobsboy.

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds