Skip to main content

Lanova design engines

More
8 years 10 months ago #160586 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Not too sure if I am asking in the correct forum, but recently doing a bit of research into "Lanova" design engines.

Going back a few years, came across a single drive F model Mack (with triplex transmission) which was stated as having a "Mack-Lanova" powerplant. Someone or other told me that the engine was actually a Scania-Vabis type, possibly around the 180 HP rating.

Whilst trying to find a bit more info, also found a reference to the "Buda-Lanova" engine, later swallowed by Allis-Chalmers and renamed under their own brand name.

Can anyone say with any certainty, if "Lanova" was simply a pre-combustion chamber design? Or was there ever a "Lanova" engine made? Quite possibly, it has disappeared into the mists of time like so many manufacturers have done, Hall-Scott, Hercules, etc.

The other one is the, what I think was originally English, "Ricardo".

Again, someone may be able to confirm this, but I had always been of the belief that Ricardo was also an engine designer, having worked in conjunction with the engine manufacturer, Paxman. A company well know for primarily industrial and marine applications. I have also been led to believe that Ricardo-Paxman did a lot or the initial design work for Ferguson's early diesel motors, back in the Standard-Vanguard days.

I had done a bit of research on both Google and Wikpedia, but find the results a bit sketchy to say the least.

I am sure that there would be a few far more knowledgeable blokes out there, than I, who would have a few more clues on this.

Cheers, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160587 by Mrsmackpaul
Dave as far as I know which is all here say Lanova is as you stated a combustion design having said that I understand that Mack developed the Lanova principle of combustion in a joint venture with Scania

I also understand that the Mack E9 V8 is similar or almost the same as the Scania V8 another joint venture development

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
  • Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #160589 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Guyz
If n eye can take U back 5 years

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1286326467

FWIW
Eye tried 3 times to search for Lanova in dis 4M ... each time it timed out without any result

Trusty ol Google found it 1st go @ this 4M
(thanx Mr Google)

AllsNotLost

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 10 months ago #160590 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Well Dave, looks like you've got the Lanova part of you Question answered..

As for Ricardo? All I know is; We've got a 1921 Lister Engine with the words "Ricardo patent" cast into the head along with the Patent number. Next time I'm near the Motor I'll (if I think of It) get the patent number & see what Mr Google can tell me..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 10 months ago #160591 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Hello Dave-64 and Hayseed,
We have a 1927 Lister 6 HP, no patent no's on it.
Google says Dr Harry Ricardo was a consultant to Lister, the two patents on a stationary engine produced 1923 to '30 concerned means for encouraging swirl in the combustion chamber to improve combustion and efficiency.
Hiclone now claim to do this.
David.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160592 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Lanova design engines
Hi Men,

Once again, one only has to post a query and answers come thick and fast! Thanks!

Had a quick squiz at the link to the 5 y o Mack questions, looks like some good reading there. Also the pages posted by Grandad!

As to Ricardo, I may have been given a bum drum, I was told he was tied up with Paxman and then eventually did some designing for Fergursons. But going by the answers here, it looks like he may have been tied in with Lister. Still, probably no reason why he couldn't have done some (designing) for other manufacturers. I suppose if you own the patent rights, or have them registered to yourself, you can pretty do much as you like. Like Lanova's design, maybe it was used by quite a few engine manufacturers? Interesting that mobs like Dennis, Meadows and even Hercules got a mention.

Thanks again, Guys!

More
8 years 10 months ago #160593 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Lanova design engines
David (wouldyou) you're correct.. Our Lister Engine is (I think) a 1927 model..

And has cast into the head.. "Ricardo Patent 148046/19"

A quick google search came up with this..

vintagebentleyblog.weebly.com/four-litre...ricardo-patents.html

here's a bit on Harry Ricardo..

www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/misc/ricardo.htm

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 10 months ago #160594 by old dog
Replied by old dog on topic Re: Lanova design engines
I have seen a NR Mack with the Mack Lanover diesel cast on the exhaust manifold.. I think the later NR's had them....

More
8 years 10 months ago #160595 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Lanova design engines
I recall reading a long time ago thet Ricardo had involvement with early AEC diesels too

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds