Skip to main content

Gaydon

More
13 years 11 months ago #30601 by roadster
Gaydon was created by roadster
I haven't been able to post on here regularly for quite a while so here are some pics from this side of the planet: the show at Gaydon last weekend. The Leyland gas turbine lorry was, for me, the star. It was started, reversed off it's transporter and driven into position. It was given a full speed stationary run which was not too loud. It would have been good to have seen and heard it on the road.
Just click on the link below the Leyland pics to see some others of the show, no theme, I just clicked when there were not too many people in the way and I stuck a little extra in at the beginning for air cooled fans!
Rod

picasaweb.google.com/roadster541/Gaydon2...nIMg&feat=directlink

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #30602 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gaydon
Hi Rod who made FTF truck new one on me ??

Was that a Harvey frost grane on the tow truck??

The HCVCAust used look after a earlier Scania - Varis in Melbourne, by way great pics I didnt see Tony Knowles twin steer bogie drive Foden in your pics . Dave

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #30603 by roadster
Replied by roadster on topic Re: Gaydon
Hi Dave, The FTF was Dutch built with, I think, a 12V71 GM. I should have photographed the info board in front of it! Seems quite suitable for Australian use!
The crane on the tow truck looks like a Harvey Frost to me, But there were probably other firms building very similar contraptions. I hadnt realised that I had not photographed any of the Tony Knowles fleet; probably because there were too many people standing in front of them! I can't remember if the twin steer Foden was there, I think he had about half a dozen on show.
Rod
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by roadster.

13 years 11 months ago #30604 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gaydon
Hi Rod,

Good pics from Gaydon, I noticed the V12 GenSet :)

I drove a Leyland Gas Turbine on an airfield in about 1970, when working for British Leyland.
Interesting and quiet, and a long routine to start up I seem to remember ?

Cheers
RS :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #30605 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Replied by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman on topic Re: Gaydon
Good pics Rod, You guys have a lot of ERFs there in the UK. If there were more here it wouldn't be so hard restoring mine (last registered in 1982) Did you take your ERF LV to Gaydon? Look forward to seeing that Mk1 Atkinson of yours in a show. Does anyone know of any leyland gas Turbine trucks here in Australia, or at least a going engine from one? Don't know if they exported any here.

Kind Regards

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #30606 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Gaydon

Roadstir Rod
GuddayM8

Gr8 Pix
Keem cummin

Nice collection of ol lorries
LOL

Looks like a yanky Marmon in amongst them ol jiggers
have U got any info on th@ particular beast

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 11 months ago #30607 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Gaydon
Number 1 Rod, did you manage to imbibe while you where there?

More
13 years 11 months ago #30608 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Re: Gaydon
Rod, great photos,thanks.
Don't you love the 4 inch pipes on the FTF 12V71....should breath well?

More
13 years 11 months ago #30609 by roadster
Replied by roadster on topic Re: Gaydon
Glad you all liked the pics. I will try and answer your questions: I didn't show my LV this time (or any thing else).
I doubt if there is a Leyland gas turbine lorry lurking in Australia or anywhere else as I think there were only three prototypes built which went into service with oil companies (maybe they were the only ones who could afford the fuel bills!). The other two were scrapped. I may be completely wrong with this as I can't remember where the information came from! Roland maybe able to confirm.
Sorry, I know nothing about the Marmon; there was no programme this year so without an info board on the truck no information was available.
I was only at the show for the day and had a 400km drive home so didn't imbibe!
The FTF stacks were good but not as impressive as those on the gas turbine Leyland! The FTF was one of my favourites as would be anything with a 12 cylinder two stroke!
Rod

More
13 years 11 months ago #30610 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Gaydon
Hi Rod, I looked at the video clips on BLB, the gas turbine looked like a hit with the crowd. I was a bit bemused by the Marshall or whoever with the Hi-vis vest walking behind it when they where unloading. Looks like a great show mate.

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds