Skip to main content

GPS - Yes or No ?

• Topic Author
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #9424 by
GPS - Yes or No ? was created by
G'Day

I am making my first visit to Oz in October :)
I have been driving for over 40 years, but only in the UK and the European mainland. (over 30 years with a Class 1 HGV)
I have never really used any form of GPS and have managed to get to Southern Italy and back several times (about 4000km round trip) using traditional maps and my reasonable sense of direction.

I have been advised more than once that GPS would be good for me in OZ, but dont know which way to go :-
1. Hire with car.
2. Buy a unit.
3. Dont bother at all.

Bearing in mind my expected 25 days driving in Vic and NT. is not to a timetable, and is intended to be a activity of exploration.

I generally will not be trying to find my way around cities and to specific addresses, like many of you do on a daily basis.

I would value any advice.

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #9425 by
Replied by on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?
Don't waste your money on it, because in NT, there is only ONE road going north anyway, don't think you could ever get lost following that one.

Victoria shouldnt be a major problem either, last time I was down there, they did have road signs at just about every intersection.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #9426 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?

RS
GuddayM8

A good boy scout can always point North
so Ifn U can do th@
it will B easy
jist follo the vehicle in front
LOL
Just avoid any beers nmade in South Australia and any where they dunno how to spell beer as in Quinslund ........ beer = XXXX
LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago #9427 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?
Hi Roland,
i've got a Tom Tom GPS which is good for getting around unfamiliar towns. No good for B roads out in the bush though. When I went to NZ last year I bought the NZ maps for it and that was good. However, you can't beat a good old fashioned map for trip planning, and once you know where you are going then the Tom Tom takes the pressure off spotting the next turn-off. So comes down to what you want to spend you money on.

Greenie, not only does Victoria have road signs we actual have route numbers which you can navigate to all point of the city by. They are great if you know about them, but most Victorians don't even know they exist.

Dennis

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #9428 by
IHScout, last time I was down in that mexican dump, aka AR$E#OLE state, I used a FREEWAY, yep Tullamarine FREEWAY, now since I grew up down there and realising a FREEWAY was just that, a FREEWAY.

Get back up here to the Sunshine State and what do ya know, a letter arrives from the Transport mob from Victoria, telling me that this FREEWAY is no longer a FREEWAY, it's now a TOLL road, --- W.T.F. is going on here ----, then why still call the bloody thing a FREEWAY.

Yep, it's sure got good road signs, now hasn't it ?. ;D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #9429 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?

@ times our rds seem like this

CliknHereWillGetchaThere!
www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html
www.tailofthedragon.com/worstroads.html

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #9430 by
Thanks for all your replies.

I will not be bothering with Sat Nav.
I think it has its uses but when it is being used in the UK to find the way to the local shops, I call it by another word that starts with 'T' and rhymes with Sat?

Cheers :)

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #9431 by
Swishy, I've seen a few roads that compare to that "tail of the dragon ", that roads even got a good bitumen surface on it.
Just down toward the Gold Coast, going up MtTamborine there's a couple of goat tracks that'll match it easy.
Then a bit south, you got the 'billy goat tracks' that go to Beechmont up the Beechmont/Darlington Ranges.

Lots of other roads with signs PROHIBITING semis from using them as well.
You've even got some down in Victoria, that would match, or even better that lot.

More
14 years 10 months ago #9432 by ozfarm
Replied by ozfarm on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?
i would get it, as they come in rather handy for telling u where to turn & also if your map reader gets a little confused or pissed

greenie

do wot i did, go thru swish shed & get a couple of plates he had laying around & blutak em to da number plate, then whiz thru thru the tunnel free of charge

;D

More
14 years 10 months ago #9433 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: GPS - Yes or No ?

Swishy, I've seen a few roads that compare to that "tail of the dragon ", that roads even got a good bitumen surface on it.
Just down toward the Gold Coast, going up MtTamborine there's a couple of goat tracks that'll match it easy.
Then a bit south, you got the 'billy goat tracks' that go to Beechmont up the Beechmont/Darlington Ranges.

Lots of other roads with signs PROHIBITING semis from using them as well.
You've even got some down in Victoria, that would match, or even better that lot.

Hell come on down to Tassie then and see where they expect us to drag B Doubles ...... one of the main NE/NW B Double routes would put them all to shame

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds