Skip to main content

Extra 1/2 gear in coach

More
9 years 4 months ago #152825 by busman
Hi all,
I have recently completed my motorhome conversion, an 84 Tourmaster with 6V92, 6 speed spicer and Rockwell diff. Towing an enclosed trailer with 5 door Suzy on board. Have completed a short first trip to highlight anything that needs changing.

My beef is the stretch between the gears on the Spicer, low is only good for getting the wheels moving so you are really talking about 5 useable speeds.

Exploring all the ways to try and split those gears, do any members here know of anyone who has fitted a 2 speed diff to a coach like this (Tourmaster or Denning) or any other way they have tackled this issue (joey or browny box for instance)

Trying to stay away from the multi gear RR conversion if possible due to the difficulty with linkages and a sore left knee.

Thanks
William

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152826 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
If you are looking at major engineering such as fitting aux boxes and two speed diffs and you have a dicky knee - what about an auto box?

Lang

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 4 months ago #152827 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
Willy
Gudday M8

jist cut 2 D chase n fit a duble O/D Roadranger
it'll have long legs
also th@ way U can skip shift
a 13 speed RR can b used as a 9 speed with out using splitter or 13 use n m all

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 4 months ago #152828 by dieseldog
I reckon the other guys have hit the nail on the head- either an auto box or a road ranger. The RR only needs the clutch to get moving and your only dealing with one set of linkages as opposed to two, if you fit a joey box.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152829 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
Autos are power losers in my mind, too much lost driving the torque converter ?
It would have to be a multiple geared thing or I would simply have the same issues as now, too big a step between slots.
May have to revisit the RR option, the knee is not that bad.

Anyone know of a motorhome owner that has fitted one to an Austral or Denning ?

Who to find out pricing availability of an RR from ?

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by busman.

• Swishy
More
9 years 4 months ago #152830 by Swishy
Nuther thort Willy
If its the same set up from new a V6-92 should have plenty get up n go
May B u not drive n hard enuff
the secret to drive the screemers is to drive az tho u stole it
flat out ..... n up to the govonors

LOL
cya

More
9 years 4 months ago #152831 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
Thanks Swishy, there may be something in what you have said.
One of the things I did discover was that on a very hot day the radiator setup is not coping. It was fine until I had it tuned by CPF, then the ton more guts came with more fuel used and more heat generated.
In both directions on my recent trip it was an extremely hot day and I was nursing it so as not to let it creep over 90 deg C. So no big run up at hills etc.
I am using thermatics as the original fan used about 12% of the horsepower and using an additional radiator as well. The additional is not quite big enough so am having a custom one built at the moment. I will wait until that is in and give it a caning and see if that solves the problem before going further.
Thanks
William

• Swishy
More
9 years 4 months ago #152832 by Swishy
SMe again Willy

Wen the beast left the factory wen new it woulda had the correct cooling package to handle the job for many years

? is the radiator or plumbin blocked

has something been changed from original ?
cya

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152833 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
Drove them jiggers for many years, and if you DON'T hit the governors with each UP gear change, you will just 'gunk' up the liners and a piston COULD grab.
If you don't hit the governors on each up change, then when you do swap up a cog, the motor is then struggling to get going again, not a nice thing to do to a 'jimmy' AT ALL, eh.

Choice is yours to make, dawdle along and stuff it up, or, get up it and get half a million clicks out of that motor.
Oh, the lovely tune you get while sittin' up front, when you got that 'jimmy' at full noise.

So -- why not just get up it, and you'll soon learn to play a tune on that big stick.

A 6-92 will do everything you want and more.

Others will have varying ideas on what to do, but the general consensus from the majority, is get up it and make some bloody noise.
Those that say to baby it up thru the gears are only interested in saving a few dollars per 600 litres on a bit of fuel, BUT, what about the cost for re-building the 6-92, by making it slug it out unnecessarily by doing that.

Strange thing, Greyhound would be looking for a lot better than 500,000 kays, before that rebuild was required and they sure had plenty of leadfoots working for them. ( think of me about now ) [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

As Swishy has suggested, get somebody to have a good look at the radiator, as something is stuffed up in that department.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
9 years 4 months ago #152834 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Extra 1/2 gear in coach
Busman, just noticed your in Brisbane, better take it around to BigCam and he'll give ya a couple of free lessons on how to drive a GM, you'll soon be able to make it sing after that.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds