Skip to main content

butterbox Acco

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #32872 by lochfoyle
butterbox Acco was created by lochfoyle
Hi all

I have a 1970 c1800 acco which was used on our farm for carting stock twice a month to the markets. It was in A one condition so much so that i was thinking of entering it into the Dubbo Truck show. Unfortunately on a recent trip to the Dubbo markets the truck caught fire and the cab was totally burn't out. The sheep on the back survived thanks to a speedy response from the fire brigade. What really gave me the sh*ts was that 6 weeks prior the perkins engine had a full rebuild. the truck had also passed an rta pit test two days before. any way the guy that towed the truck back to the farm said that the engine looked like it may be able to be salvaged and it was only the cab that was destroyed if we were able to find one we may be able to put it back on the road. Does any one think that this might be feasable?

cheers
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32873 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: butterbox Acco
Welcome to the forum Lochfoyle and sorry to hear about your ACCO going up in smoke. Most likely an electrical fault and it happens to all makes of truck. You need to start the engine to be see if all is OK but sounds like it would be worth fitting another cab.
Unfortunately these cabs rusted and it may take you a while to find a good one.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32874 by mallee farmer
Replied by mallee farmer on topic Re: butterbox Acco
Hi, anyone know what a 1971 923r kw would be worth?

13 years 8 months ago #32875 by
Replied by on topic Re: butterbox Acco
lochfoyle - Yes, it's entirely feasible, but it will take time and money. A good cab could almost certainly be found in a hot, dry, interior, farming area. However, I'd question why you'd want to do it, unless you were happy to carry out a major restoration.

Fires are terribly destructive, and the heat buggers the steel quality in many items. If the fire was over the top of the motor, I'd say, yes, the engine is salvageable .. but if the fire reached below the engine, such as front tyres burning, then the engine may be badly fried, and suffer from heat warpage and softening of critical components.

I was recently offered a good 1970 ACCO for $1100. A farm truck, it was reputedly in average mechanical condition, but apparently had a good cab. The seller was supposed to contact me again, as he was busy .. but he didn't, and I lost his number.
I know the town and region the truck is in, in the SE wheatbelt of W.A., I just haven't taken the trouble to chase it up. These trucks are still out there, you just have to look for them.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32876 by lochfoyle
Replied by lochfoyle on topic Re: butterbox Acco
Thanks for you input. The fire did not reach the tyres, it burnt the seats and engine cover along with any non metal parts on top of the engine. I have always liked our old butterbox and was anoyed when it was burnt However i take your point it may be better to just look for another old truck and use ours as spares. :)

More
13 years 8 months ago #32877 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: butterbox Acco
It is probably going to cost you $10K ( a guess) to find a decent roadworthy 7-8 ton truck to replace it so might be worth putting another cab on the Butterbox.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32878 by lochfoyle
Well I have been looking recently for other butterbox acco's and have not found any that were nearly as good as the one we had. Having said that I realise that this truck is quite old and i havent been looking for long. If anyone knows of a farmer that has one sitting in a shed/paddock that might be suitable, please let me know.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #32879 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: butterbox Acco
Is this the type of cab lochfoyle is looking for ? With the "long door"and forward step.

R/

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32880 by lochfoyle
Yes it is the cab I am looking for, the one in the picture looks like a C2050 which is the same cab as far as i can tell. Do you happen to know where I might get one or a complete c1800?

cheers

Nigel

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 8 months ago #32881 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: butterbox Acco

LochFoyle
Gudday M8
not kno n wot u're beast lookd like or wot part of the world U B in
Twould B like buy n a new bra for the handbrake