Skip to main content

Copyright & "intellectual rights"

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43059 by
O.K. - seeing as this discussion went "off-topic" in the last thread, I will start another thread relating to the subject.

I think there's a lack of understanding on the part of many people, of what constitutes "intellectual rights" or copyright, or what is involved, in people exercising those rights.

You retain "intellectual rights" or copyright, on anything that you personally produce. "Permission" to produce that item, such as a photo, is a totally different thing.

You require permission to take photographs of what is recognised as private activity. Public displays are not private activity.
People can become annoyed at intrusion by photographers, into what they see as their "private" life .. but someone taking a photo in a public place, of a public event, is fully entitled to do so.

A photo, a drawn cartoon, or a written article in its entirety, has copyright on it, even if the owner doesn't specifically state so.
There are people out there who make a very profitable and successful living out of taking photos, and selling poster sized copies, or publishing books with those photos in them.
These are the people who can get pretty snakey about photos being swiped and used without their specific permission.

I guess I could best describe a potentially-aggravating situation, if I swiped a dozen of another persons beaut photos of flash trucks .. and then printed up a calendar with all those photos on them, and started flogging them for $20 a throw .. without any reference to, or permission of, the original photo owner.
You could well imagine the aggro .. particularly if that person who owned the photos was YOU .. when you saw your pics being used by someone else, to make a sizeable dollar.

The bottom line is, that even though, YOU, personally, don't care about what happens to pics you've taken .. a lot of people do.
As a result, it's common courtesy to request permission to repost someone elses pics, and to acknowledge that the pics belong to that person.

A few short years ago, there was one tractor-oriented Pom who had little else to do, but set up a website, and pinch tractor pics from everywhere and everyone, and put them on his website.
He neither acknowledged the original ownership of any of the pics, and neither did he ask permission to use them.

I notice that his site was taken down after a short time, and he's never set up another one. Obviously, he stepped on one too many toes.

The Copyright Act gives you permission to reproduce up to 10% of someones work, for educational purposes .. and copyright generally ceases upon the death of the original owner, the liquidation of the business that owns the copyright, or 50 years.
However, to swipe and repost photos without the owners permission or acknowledgement, is bad form.
Photos that are "in the public domain" .. i.e. .. have been released in Govt publications, have been in general circulation, or the owner is unknown, are generally regarded as free to redistribute at leisure.
Typical amongst these, is photos taken, and emailed and posted for everyones amusement .. "doctored" photos produced for the same reason .. and photos where people have indicated they don't care about their re-use.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #43060 by Swishy

Juan Trak
Gudday M8

Ok
OK
Th@ might B your Version
but we all hot link sites, pictures, text etc

as far as nok n out a calendar I'd B rapt
cos me nose $20 is @ cost or there abouts
n think of your own pic being circulated amongst the masses

also U n eye have grabbd pix from Picture Australia n other sites
me excuse iz u're honor
It is not for financial gain n only purely educational( n sum droolin)

so me say Lets keep do n wot we do ;)

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43061 by
Ron here is another one for you I get little piss off when I see my truck been used to advertise things and someone has taken the pic at a show and dosnt in touch with me see if it's ok to use it .
Now if it is used on a flim or what ever I'm asked if they can use it whats the diff on that. Dave

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43062 by
Deadly, how dare you have such an attitude.
No, Dave , your on the right track mate.
Jeff.

More
13 years 3 months ago #43063 by ianoz

Jeff.

Says the man with the thomas the tank engine avitar . Did you pay a royalty for it ;) ::) ;D.

Yes dave it would be nice to have been asked .. But some thing thats being seen by thousands , You can rightfully throw back your shoulders ,puff out your chest and say with pride ,THATS MY TRUCK . They are certainly not gunna say that about my hino . Ian .

More
13 years 3 months ago #43064 by paul404
Ian mate. I must get to your place ASAP so i can take pics of all your gear to show everyone. We on this forum cannot live on the odd pic you decide to dole out to us. We need pics we don't care where they come from.

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43065 by
Yep, old Thomas has been shafted on his royalties!!

IAN PAUL

I agree with you blokes, i personally dont care if folks steal my pic,s geez if ya google S2 half the pic,s are my truck, whats guna end up happening here is no one will end up posting any pics, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but its ok to be "captain -cut and paste" on any info, Reckon there's a few fellas on this site guilty of that..not naming any name though [dont need a law suit] ;) ;) ;) swish feel free to take any of my pic,s mate!,, top job on the calendar

just an observation

"said with a smile and a scratch of the head,W.T.F"

Cheers Adam

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #43066 by

Jeff.

Says the man with the thomas the tank engine avitar . Did you pay a royalty for it ;) ::) ;D.

Yes dave it would be nice to have been asked .. But some thing thats being seen by thousands , You can rightfully throw back your shoulders ,puff out your chest and say with pride ,THATS MY TRUCK . They are certainly not gunna say that about my hino . Ian .

There ya go ianoz, fixed.

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43067 by
Basically onetrack is correct in regards to the Copyright rulls.

I did some investigation on this subject for work a while back.

And to reflect what we are discussing. If I take a photo of Deadly Daves truck. I own the rights of the photo. It is my work etc.

I don't have to get Deadly's permission to take the photo if it was on public show. In his backyard at home is entirly different matter!

But as Deadly has indicated it is only fair, polite and reasonable to expect that if I was to use the photo for profit or advertising it would be reasonable to check with him first. As he may not agree to how I intend to use the photo.

Basically just make sure you acknowledge where the photo came from or quote if you are retriving info from a book or website etc. If known the subject of the photo etc. Then we should all be ok.

Nuff Said.

• Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43068 by
Iam glad you mentioned "books and websites " not just pic,s jarrod, i think most of the blokes on here, use pic,s and info to help one another, as a referance, as memeroies,etc, iam well aware of copyright& intellectual rights , its its indeed sad when we even worrie about a fellow members using each others pic,s, where will it all end? will it come to a stage where international sue you for using one of there trucks as a profile pic? at the end of the day we are all losers, there will be no pic,s and no info, and no memories,

maybe even "the leggo-man" will sue us all for not enough air time!

"just my 2 cents worth" :-/

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds