Skip to main content

Dennis trucks.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124689 by asw120
Dennis trucks. was created by asw120
I suppose most of you blokes in the industry knew this already, but I didn't. I thought Dennis made fire engines decades ago and got gobbled up, or such until I saw a brand new (?) one on the Warrego Highway near Ipswich the other day.
Came as quite a surprise. I wonder if we might see a few more about.

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124690 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
Yep, seen a few purpose built ones as garbage trucks. Similar to the Benz garbage trucks with low entry point.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
10 years 8 months ago #124691 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
Forgot to take a pic, but the bus that ran us down to the Point Nepean fort from the quarantine station on Cammas peninsula run was a Dennis.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124692 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
Dennis no longer make trucks and have not made fire appliances for 7 or 8 years, but the company (now called Alexander Dennis) is a huge manufacturer of buses and coaches and supply them to many countries around the world, including here in NZ.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124693 by AsciiDv
Replied by AsciiDv on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
Vic,

Dennis do still make trucks, about a 1000 year. They are primarily for refuse collection.

www.dennis-eagle.co.uk/

After the Dennis truck division left the Dennis group at Guildford where the buses and fire engines were made, they became Dennis-Eagle. In recent times they were taken over by Ros-Roca a Spanish truck maker. However they still are a relatively independent unit.

[img]www.dennisfire.co.uk/elite.jpg[/img]

The great shame is the cessation of fire engine production in 2007. The problem lay with their cab maker who decided they would only make fire engine cabs in batches of 100.

Barry.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124694 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
You are right of course, I had forgotten about those

More
10 years 8 months ago #124695 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
AsciiDv, they have a swag of these Dennis Garbage trucks running around Geelong at present, working for Cleanaway I think. They brought some out for evaluation but they were sent back because they did not comply with OH&S regulations & had to be upgraded to comply. Cheers Tim :)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
10 years 8 months ago #124696 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
Quite a few Dennis Eagle trucks starting to appear around Sydney now as well. I see Mercedes has also started selling their low cabbed chassis for this sort of work.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 3 months ago #124697 by 3800
Replied by 3800 on topic Re: Dennis trucks.
In the UK Dennis also make Low Bed highway maintenance trucks.

More
10 years 3 months ago #124698 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Dennis trucks.

Dennis no longer make trucks and have not made fire appliances for 7 or 8 years, but the company (now called Alexander Dennis) is a huge manufacturer of buses and coaches and supply them to many countries around the world, including here in NZ.

Alexander Dennis made the fire engine chassis only, which were bodied by other firms. One was John Dennis Coachbuilders; John was part of the original Dennis family.

The garbage trucks are made by Dennis-Eagle, now an independent brand. They are tied up with Western Star.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds