Skip to main content

Trailer spec question

More
11 years 8 months ago #90771 by farmer brown
Saw a grain truck today (Riodens I think) Kenworth 608 with body over the drives towing 5 axle dog. Question is do these out fits need to be specificly enginered to get vic rego? Could someone for example buy/hire tandem dolly and tri tipper and set up behind body truck? Provided GCM and length requirements are met of course.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 8 months ago #90772 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Trailer spec question

Pharmr Brown
Gudday M8

round the suburbs on a selected route
they run 6 axle dogs
az in

O

OO
OOO
OOO
probly/much the same axle space nz to a B duble
but with a F Long Drawbar

rule of thumb sez when the towed trailer is heavier than the truck towing the the trailer by draw bar..the item with the greater weight decides where the rig could/would end up

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 8 months ago #90773 by John Whale
evening all i have seen those cartage aus trucks pulling into a quarry i do deliveries into man do they work hard some of those trucks are only 440 horse plenty of banging and groaning going on cheers whale

More
11 years 8 months ago #90774 by farmer brown
What would be the licence requirements to drive one of these jigers HC or MC?

11 years 8 months ago #90775 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trailer spec question
Swishy

My thought on those is its a lot of weight relying only on a ring feeder/drawbar.

Trevor

More
11 years 8 months ago #90776 by Vic Rhodes

Saw a grain truck today (Riodens I think) Kenworth 608 with body over the drives towing 5 axle dog. Question is do these out fits need to be specificly enginered to get vic rego? YES Could someone for example buy/hire tandem dolly and tri tipper and set up behind body truck? NO Provided GCM and length requirements are met of course.

Farmer Brown, These operate under the PBS scheme.

Bit of light reading for you.. ;)

www.ntc.gov.au/DocView.aspx?documentid=00238

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Moreinfoand...ceBasedStandards.htm

More
11 years 8 months ago #90777 by farmer brown
Thanks Vic. I recond there would probably be sumthin like that. ::)

11 years 8 months ago #90778 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trailer spec question
As for licence I guess it would be HC. But would expect that running under the PBS scheme it would depend on any conditions that the vehicle is running under in this configuration.

Going by the Vicroads site. A HC is:-

A prime mover to which is attached a single semi-trailer that has a GVM more than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly; or A rigid motor vehicle to which is attached a trailer that has a GVM more than 9 tonnes plus any unladen converter dolly.

And a MC is:-

A Heavy Combination vehicle with more than one trailer. The vehicle must be B-Double rated and have all the relevant documentation, permits etc. (The trailers may not be dollies. The combination must be at least 22 metres in length, in B-double configuration, and loaded to 75 percent of its carrying capacity.)

To a degree the above indications of MC also indicate why can't just put a Dolly under a tipper. As it says for the MC no dollies. And for the HC unloaded dollies only.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90779 by John Whale
gday fella,s whats the 75 % load capacity mean as far as mc license ?? whale

More
11 years 8 months ago #90780 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Trailer spec question
That quote would be related to the vehicle in which you take your test. Used to be that you could run empty for the test.

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds