Skip to main content

3 new toys, Sunshine, Sunpet and Crossley

More
9 years 1 month ago #157608 by bparo
I have purchased 3 engines as a bundled lot. As some of you may have seen I have been selling projects and things I don't use on eBay and at a swap meet to raise the funds to put to these. These are the first inhabitants of the new shed

First is a 3hp Sunshine 2 stroke. I am not sure if these are not as common as the larger 5 and 7 hp models or just not as desirable among collectors. I like it because of its small size. It was produced by HV Mackay and the person I purchased it from thought it was 1918. This runs
[img
Sunshine 3hp by bparo2003 , on Flickr
[img
Sunshine 3hp side by bparo2003 , on Flickr

Next is a little SunPet. Also made by HV McKay. I have been told they predate the sunshine. This need a gear refitted and should then run.
[img
Sunpet by bparo2003 , on Flickr
[img
Sunpet side 2 by bparo2003 , on Flickr

The final piece is a twin Side shaft Crossley 1060. Believed to be from 1920 I sent a message to England earlier today to get its year of manufacture and other details. This one runs sweetly
[img
Crossley head end by bparo2003 , on Flickr
[img
Crossley Crank End by bparo2003 , on Flickr
[img
Crossley shaft side by bparo2003 , on Flickr
[img
Crossley other side by bparo2003 , on Flickr

They filled an 8x5 trailer nicely to come home

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #157609 by asw120
Nice toys.....one day :)

I've been playing with a couple of little Villiers recently (not real old, 50's, 60's). Got one going, need to get a broken spark plug out of the other one. One runs a washing machine!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 1 month ago #157610 by wouldyou
Hello bparo,
All quite old and complete, ready to show as they are too.
Found a 1921 date for the Sunpet on the internet, don't what period they were made.
Crossley looks original.
Cheers, David.

More
9 years 1 month ago #157611 by Mrsmackpaul
someones gunna need a bigger shed soon

all looks good to me it's hard to believe that a few years ago they were chucking this stuff in the scrap it's good we are saving some of our history now

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 1 month ago #157612 by bparo
Thanks guys, I need to spend more time in the shed and maybe a bit less on the computer.

I sent a photo of the Engine number on the Crossley today and the number dates it in the 1890's yet that style of engine wasn't introduced until 1920. That has the Englishmen scurrying for more information and details.

I am happy and bought these with my wife's blessing. They are the most expensive I have purchased so far. Part of the idea is to have some desirable toys in the collection so that if I am in the situation of having to have a clearing sale it attracts more buyers and hopefully better prices for me. Of course I prefer to play with them.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 1 month ago #157613 by Oldengines
Hi bparo,
nice engines, not many sunpets around,
the 3 hp sunshine is fairly scarce over here in wa, plenty of the 5s around, i would love a 3 they are a great little engine, cheers,
Chester.

More
9 years 1 month ago #157614 by dieseldog
Nice find, I'm liking the original look. I reckon there's too many flashy, painted up engines these days and not enough in their work clothes.

More
9 years 1 month ago #157615 by Sarge
very lovely Bruce and blessed.... you are either a pest in the house or just can pick'em....

I too like the working clothes/as found look... was it on here or a TOMM article some time back about giving toys like yours a coat of Used ATF, then wiping it off. No rust, not sticky, and nice soft shine....

Now ya just need a chaff cutter and grain mill and twin piston pump to run them on... ;)

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 1 month ago #157616 by Tacho
Sarge, another brew to paint on old gear to slow down the rust and retain the original patina is

25% Linseed Oil to 75% Turpentine

The ratio can be adjusted to give a matt or more shiny appearance.
Cheers

More
9 years 1 month ago #157617 by dno
Nice pick-up they look good in there work cloths, you also scored a couple of nice transporters there too.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds