Skip to main content

2 seater tractor

More
13 years 1 month ago #47675 by cobbadog
2 seater tractor was created by cobbadog
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and I have a question regarding tractors with 2 seats. We would like to buy a small tractor to take on treks with our club but need to know what make and model tractors have a seating capacity for 2 legally. Also, is it possible to add an extra seat legally so that we can, when needed be able to drive the tractor on club plates on a public road.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #47676 by
Replied by on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
Cobbadog - I presume you're talking a vintage tractor, and not a current model?
An early Chamberlain fits your requirements nicely, with a wide bench seat.
The Chamberlain 9G, or it's earlier brother, the 6G are collectable tractors. There's even a 9G tractor club.

www.chamberlain9g.org.au/

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47677 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
the guy who bought my chamberlain 306 was going to take it on "tractor treks" with his missus .. also the chamberlains usually top out at around 40kmh ..so not to bad

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #47678 by
You can wind the 6G and 9G Chamberlains top speed up, by modifying the final drive gearing. This is how "Tailend Charlie" can wind up to 100kmh.
However, to do so, and get it registered, you need to fit power brakes, front mudguards, and install high speed-rated tyres.
I don't know of any other Chamberlains that have been speeded up to match Tail End Charlie. Most of the owners seem to be happy trudging along at 40 kmh.
It's a very good way to get on a personal-name-basis, with every white guide post along the highways and byways .. :D
Done plenty of "roading" of my Cat graders at 40 kmh. One trek took me over 300 kms .. but I broke it up, by doing some grading along the way .. ;D

More
13 years 1 month ago #47679 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
Thanks for the tips on the Chamberlains. Will look at whats around for sale soon.
Still nothing about adding a seat legally to a tractor.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #47680 by
Ask your local rego authority about adding the extra seat. I see no reason why they wouldn't agree to it, provided there's room for it, it's properly bolted in, and it doesn't interfere with the drivers handling and operation of the tractor. At least you're showing that you're making the effort to seat passengers properly.

I always remember a particularly bad accident over here on the left coast about 20 yrs ago. A farmer bloke bought a new tractor, and the family were really excited about it.
He had two little girls, and they both wanted a ride in the new tractor.

It was a fully-glass-cabbed tractor, and there was only the drivers seat fitted, like most newer tractors. He hopped in, and the two little girls stood on one side of the floor, against one door, and his wife stood on the floor on the other side, against the other door.

He took off up the road, and got up to full speed, whereby he hit a bump .. and it appears one of the little girls was hanging on, by holding onto the inside door handle.
The bump apparently made her pull on the door handle, and it swung open, dropping both girls out onto the road.

He ran over them both, killing one, and seriously injuring the other. A hard way to learn safety with machinery.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47681 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
That is a terribly sad story and is exactly the reason why I am looking at doing this properly. If it is legal to add a seat by mounting one solidly to the tractor frame I would also consider a seat belt as well.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47682 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
I'm sure there was a road registered 9G for sale, I thought on ebay a few weeks ago for $7,000 up in Qld. Can't find any reference to it now. I don't think it sold. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47683 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: 2 seater tractor
Hi John
Been searching hi and low and this is the best I can find
www.safework.sa.gov.au/uploaded_files/rs3i.pdf

www.safework.sa.gov.au/uploaded_files/rs3i.pdf

Tractor safety
Tractors cause more deaths than any other industrial machinery in Australia - you can help to reduce the number of injuries and fatalities. Some good tips:

13 years 1 month ago #47684 by
John

I would be very suprised if you will be able to fit a extra seat to any tractor for road use.
Tractors fitted with rops (roll over protection) are designed so if a tractor rolls over on its side or tips over backwards that the operator is well protected, this means you would need to fit the seat within the confins of the rops and i dont think this is possible.

But as swishy says idostandtobecorrected.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds