Skip to main content

Trains

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59860 by
Trains was created by
Being a bit of a train buff, caught these 2 oldies
working south through Bethungera the other week...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #59861 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Trains
Thanks Old Dog, I think you will find you are not the only person with that interest (as well as trucks) on this forum

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 9 months ago #59862 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Trains
Ya can count me in the Puffernut group.

Mainly Tasmanian ones,X,Y,Z,ZA,ZB,ZC classes, but will look at anything steam.

Are those oes you shot anything like the Victorian A and B class???

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #59863 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trains

Ya can count me in the Puffernut group.

Mainly Tasmanian ones,X,Y,Z,ZA,ZB,ZC classes, but will look at anything steam.

Are those oes you shot anything like the Victorian A and B class???

yes Victorian S Class from about 1957
leased to Southern Shorthaul Railways

Like a lot of the private mobs fondly known as "rent a wreck" We were watching each other and he pulled it back a few notches, as he wasn't going to let me beat the lights. He was still powering up as he went past......

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59864 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trains
I was fascinated a while back, reading about why the various railways run on the side of the tracks that they do. It doesn't always correlate with the side of the road they drive on, in any particular country .. but rather, who supplied their first rail network.

As with railway guages, the running side is a proper headache, even in Europe.
What got me interested was a recent holiday to France, Portugal, Spain and Italy. We caught the train from Barcelona, around the Mediterranean, through Cannes, Nice & Monaco, before finishing up in Milan.

When we got to the Spanish/French border, North of Barcelona, the same Spanish train runs right through the border, about 30 kms, to Perpignan station (France).
However, the Spanish train has to swap sides, to travel on the French rail network! .. as the Spanish trains run on the right, whereas the French trains run on the left!
This involves train stoppage, waiting for signalling, and then slow train movements, to ensure that the cross-over is carried out, without any FU's.

Other adjoining countries where this is a headache are Holland and Belgium, and Norway and Sweden. From Malmo Central, SW towards the Oresund tunnel/bridge that links Denmark and Sweden, the trains swap from left (Swedish) to right, to match the Danish rail network, which runs on the right.

More
12 years 9 months ago #59865 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Trains
If that was one of the 'Talgo' trains they also adjust the gauge (equivalent tp track on a vehicle) by over 6 inches without you leaving your seat,

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 9 months ago #59866 by knighty
Replied by knighty on topic Re: Trains
top photo ole dog, i reckon they were the best looking old locos, love to own one. jk

Lotsa Big Toys

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59867 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Trains
S for single end
B for both ends?

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 9 months ago #59868 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Trains
No, the letters were arbitrary. By the time VR had run out of alphabet, the older classes with the same letter had been scrapped.
IIRC there were two B classes: an 1860s mainline express steam loco. One hauled the first VR royal tour (Prince Alfred, a son of Queen Victoria, in Melbourne in command of HMS Galatea when the railway to Bendigo was the latest grand project to show off); the early 1950s mainline diesel.
There were three Ss: a c1890s mainline loco; the famous 1920s mainline Pacifics (4-6-2 wheel arrangement), subsequently streamlined for Spirit of Progress, and the image of of VR to the world for over a decade; the late 1950s single-ended mainline diesel.

Operating today (mainline companies and tourist railways):
A, B, C, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, T, W, X, Y.
Preserved statically: E, V, Z.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
12 years 9 months ago #59869 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Trains
thanks for that Roderick..
Would it be fair to say, from a laymans observation that:
Single ended diesels (S class)
Double ended diesels (B class)
Existed in the 70's / 80's on victorian tracks?

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds