Skip to main content

Help with Ignition Switch Wiring

More
11 years 11 months ago #85545 by chrisandliso
Hi everyone, I have just purchased a Lucas 3 position ignition switch (part numberLucas 31973, 47SA) to replace the start button on the tractor.
The back of the switch it looks like this:

Could somebody please just clarify for me how to wire this up?
The original wires which went in (power) and out (starter solenoid small wire)of the original start button go to which terminals (1,2 or 3) and what's the third one for??? :-/

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks guys,

Chris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85546 by geoffb
From the diagram supplied I would be thinking that 3 is the supply 2 goes to the coil or what is operating while the ignition is on and 1 goes to the starter solenoid This looks like a typical or generic early type switch
BICBW

More
11 years 11 months ago #85547 by HeyCharger
I'd go along with that :D

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #85548 by chrisandliso
Thanks guys,
So the only things on this tractor which would have power when the tractor is running is the head lights, implement light and horn. All these now take power from 'A1' on the regulator.
Should I take the feed wire from Regulator 'A1' and attach to Ignition Switch number 2? This will leave nothing going to regulator 'A1' Is this ok?
Ideally I would like the lights to go off with the ignition key switched off.
I also have an ammeter but that is in the line between solenoid and regulator 'A' terminal.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by chrisandliso.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85549 by geoffb
Not sure of your configuration but the ignition switch may not handle the lighting current therefore you may have to put in a relay.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85550 by HeyCharger
Again I agree with Geoff. As you can see by your diagram, terminal #2 is rated for a MAXIMUM of 5 AMPS. You could wire your lights through terminal #2 but you would need a common 4 pole relay to take the load, as I'm sure your lights would draw more than 5 amps.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #85551 by
What I would suggest is run a wire from battery to the ignition switch terminal 3. Run wire from ignition switch 1 to the starter solenoid. Then get a relay from Supercheap or similar.

For example a Tridon horn relay (standard Normally open 4 pin relay) the circuit is:-
(borrowed from the Tridon website)

I would then wire the pin 85 to ground and pin 86 to ignition switch 2. Then pin 30 to regulator A1 and the wire currently on A1 wire to 87.

This will mean that the lights will only work if the relay is activeated which would be when the ignition is in poisition 1 or 2. When the relay is active then the lights will behave as currently set up. If you were to wire the lights direct to ignition switch 2 your ammeter wouldn't really work correctly as none of the load would come through the ammeter. Also as mentioned the switch wouldn't take the load.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85552 by HeyCharger
Right on [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.

More
11 years 10 months ago #85553 by chrisandliso
Thanks very much for the replies.
Have got tomorrow off so will wire it up.
Will keep you posted on how things go.
Chis

More
11 years 10 months ago #85554 by chrisandliso
Yep all done and working a treat.
Thanks guys, would've been hard without your help...
Chris

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds