Skip to main content

costs of DIY engine rebuild?

More
10 years 2 months ago #138802 by beddyfarmtruck
Engine is stuck, I estimate the guts of the engine are rusted solid, put all sorts of stuff in it to try and free it with no luck.

my options are pull it out and put a different engine in, or completely dismantle it all until I find the problem, my worse case scenario is a stuffed block.

I've been quoted $1250 for a running second hand engine and over $6000 :o to get it stripped down and running by a professional, being unemployed currently I can only dream about having that much money!

so I'm just wondering how hard would it be for someone like me with basic mechanical skills to pull the engine out and fix it myself?
I've only tinkered with Holden grey engines but from what I've seen from pictures on the net Bedford engines are more complicated.

I'm sure there's somebody that's been in the same boat, having to replace gaskets and seals is obvious anything else I need to do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #138803 by Blackduck59
Petrol or diesel?
Petrols are no harder than the old greys, just need the specc's to get it right.
If the bores are rusted then the second hand unit may be the best option.
Badly rusted bores will require a re-bore and new pistons.
Pull the head and have a look

More
10 years 2 months ago #138804 by dieseldog
Beddy, your best bet is to pull the head off and have a look. If the engine is just stuck from sitting, you will probably get it going again. If there's been water in there, its rebuild time.

I've had good results with scalding hot ATF left to soak in there for weeks, not days. It just depends on how much time you have and how much money you want to spend.

If you need to rebuild, but don't have the skills, why not post it on here and the guys in the know can work through it with you, step by step.

Regards DD.

More
10 years 2 months ago #138805 by geoffb
Just my opinion if you have never do any thing like this before there are lots of traps to fall in to

More
10 years 2 months ago #138806 by overnite
If in doubt,don't. A little bit of knowledge could cost you more than you're trying to save.

More
10 years 2 months ago #138807 by SandB
Agree with the comments above about tackling an engine rebuild without a sound knowledge of what you are doing. A suggestion; before pulling the head off --- would be a can of "freeze & release" --- copious quantities down each spark plug hole! Let it sit for a few days & see how ya go -- has worked for me lol
Cheers Brian O

More
10 years 2 months ago #138808 by 56 AS 130
Couple of old fellas I know swear by brown vinegar
Put a heap down the pots and leave over night they recon by next morning you will have it turning over. Has to be brown vinegar. And don't leave it to long if you have alloy pistons as it starts to eat them if left to long. Use a tyre lever in the ring gear to get it moving.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #138809 by asw120
Just my 2 cents, and worth no more than that;
you'd be surprised what will run just fine when you are trying to build an engine with NO money. When I was a young, broke apprentice, I used to rebuild Holden red and grey motors out of bits. I made all the mistakes, learning why you can't use main caps off another motor or big end caps off another rod.
For paddock, or light road/club use I found pitted bores no problem - the pits soon fill up with carbon! (you don't see this until it finally wears out again). I have bashed rusted pistons out with hardwood and a FBH and used another piston form another engine so long as it's the same size. The top ring grooves need to be OK, not broken out. I got 30,000K's form a 161 in a HJ Kingswood (yes, it was slow....) which I drove like an idiot most of the time. This had pistons from other motors in it. The top ring grooves were worn out, but not broken. Unbelieveably, it didn't use oil! (until it finally broke a ring). It was replaced by a 186 with rods/pistons out of a 202 (both were standard bore). It had low compression (about 6.5:1, IIRC) and was super flexible. It saw the car out.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have absolutely no choice.

Other ways I have unstuck less heavily seized engines:
Cyl. head off, hotwire starter (for instants only) while pulling on breaker bar on crankshaft nut, tap downward pistons with hardwood and FBH. Repeat.

Vehicle in top gear, tyres pumped right up, rock vehicle back and forth.

Obviously, do the best rebuild you can afford.
best of luck.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by asw120.

More
10 years 2 months ago #138810 by mammoth
ASW has it. If you are going to invest in education make it your own and not a mechanics who is learning a Bedford engine at your expense. You have not said which engine but if it is a 214 from the older Beddys you can do it blindfold after the experience gained in doing up a grey motor. The 214 is a development of the Chev 1928 stovebolt, with further improvement in the early 60's.
Head off and hammer pistons down with fbh on hardwood and once free hone the bores. New piston rings and big end/mains shells would be a nice luxury.

More
10 years 2 months ago #138811 by dieseldog
Asw, you've hit the nail on the head. Everyone has to start somewhere and learn from their mistakes. I'm a self taught diesel mechanic, and actually did my trade via RPL after I was employed as a tradesman.

An old Beddy engine is the perfect thing to learn on with it being just about the simplest form of engine technology there is, and back in their day, they were designed to be field serviceable by people with only basic skills.

Beddyfarmtruck, if your willing to learn to rebuild an engine and post it up on here, I'm willing to talk you through it and share my knowledge and experience.

After all, the forum is here for everyones benefit.

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds